Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

For those of you who have unlocked their phones before...

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:16 pm

I see that Amazon is having a pretty amazing deal on Nokia 520 phones right now at $39.99.

Only problem, they're locked to AT&T and I'm Canadian, so I'll need to unlock it.

I know I'll be spending about $30 to unlock it, but for those of you who have unlocked a phone before, are there any good unlocking sites you can recommend? And yes, I have searched the forums, but I will admit, only 3 pages back and I didn't see any specific recommendations.

There are hundreds of sites when I google them and I don't want to be giving my cc number to just anyone...
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: For those of you who have unlocked their phones before..

Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:12 pm

Why don't you just ask AT&T? I think they will do it most the time. You may have to sign up for a prepaid plan for a month or something, i'm not sure, but I trust AT&T more than some other places.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:21 pm

A lot of people on forums have been saying that recently AT&T requires you to be a customer for 60 days (or something like) before they unlock it.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:27 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:
A lot of people on forums have been saying that recently AT&T requires you to be a customer for 60 days (or something like) before they unlock it.

Eck. It's at least worth a shot? It does say you have to be a current AT/T customer, but doesn't say for how long.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

edit: nevermind, it does say how long.

AT&T wrote:
Postpaid Phones and Tablets with a Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T), and all contract obligations, including any Service Commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied.

Postpaid Phones and Tablets with no Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T).

Prepaid / GoPhones: Device has been active for at least 6 months.

edit 2: I would still go into an Att if you can and try it. But you'd have to be in USA for that I suppose. I did find this site that looks be fairly well like on some Android forums.

http://www.cellunlocker.net/nokia-unlock.php

edit 3: lol sorry for the edits. Also this one, from multiple sources.

http://unlockthatphone.com/
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:10 am

The quote from AT&T is for postpaid phone. The deal that the OP was referring to is a GoPhone, a prepaid plan. Don't know the time you have to wait before unlock. However, if you use a 3rd party unlock site you may not have an issue.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:49 am

Flying Fox wrote:
The quote from AT&T is for postpaid phone. The deal that the OP was referring to is a GoPhone, a prepaid plan. Don't know the time you have to wait before unlock. However, if you use a 3rd party unlock site you may not have an issue.

The quote from ATT includes prepaid/gophone: "Prepaid / GoPhones: Device has been active for at least 6 months."

It is the last line of what i took straight from their website. I forgive you though, it's late. ;)

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:46 am

DancinJack wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

The quote from ATT includes prepaid/gophone: "Prepaid / GoPhones: Device has been active for at least 6 months."

It is the last line of what i took straight from their website. I forgive you though, it's late. ;)

Which means it is not 60 days. I wonder if 3rd party sites can work around that, depending on whether the manufacture unlock codes are available to them.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:56 am

If you're not too worried about getting technical, you should be able to unlock it by just flashing to another vendor's firmware.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:17 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
If you're not too worried about getting technical, you should be able to unlock it by just flashing to another vendor's firmware.

Hmm... this is not an Android phone? ;)

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:41 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:

Hmm... this is not an Android phone? ;)

Haha, yep. I haven't heard of any Windows firmware flashing. Although I did forcibly install my current Windows Phone 7.5 to 7.8 (since my carrier doesn't support Windows 7), I'd be hesitant to flash something that I don't have a back-up for.

Thanks DancinJack, I'll take a look at those sites you linked to.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:42 am

It doesn't hurt to walk into a AT&T store and asking to get it unlocked. All they can do is say no. You might get lucky and get a rep that will do it.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!