IDS at home?

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

Postposted on Fri Jan 04, 2002 11:56 am

Is anyong using an IDS at home for their broadband connections? I'm asking because I've been thinking about setting one up and would be interested to hear problems, successes, etc. Also what IDS if any do you use?
ANApex
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Fri Jan 04, 2002 12:02 pm

OK, I'll look like a n00b for asking, but what is IDS? I might know what it is, but I'm not familiar with that particular acronym.
lenzenm
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Fri Jan 04, 2002 10:09 pm

Intrusion Detection System is what IDS stands for. It can be either network or host based. If it's network based it checks the network traffic for attacks using signature files. If it is host based it checks only traffic coming to that host. That's IDS in a simple paragraph. It's more complex than that but you get the idea.

I'm using a Netscreen 5XP on my cable modem but haven't got around to setting up Snort. Not sure I will either as I have nothing that important on my home network to justify the time.
Red 6
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Jan 07, 2002 5:23 am

Hi,

Personal opinion, but if you don't have the time to monitor the IDS it's not worth setting up. But if it's just a learning experience, go with Snort - lots of people out there to help you with troubles.

Bruce
Bruce
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Jan 07, 2002 6:03 am

Thanks guys I was looking into snort when I posted, now I just need to get the system for it. And of course it's just a "learning experience" if it wasn't that my wife wouldn't let me waste the time (or the money) :smile:
ANApex
Gerbil XP

Return to Networking