Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

blade47
Gerbil
Topic Author

New network setup

Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:15 am

Hello, right basically in a weeks time i will be moving into a new house, where NTL broadband will be running. I want to share the connection between 3 computers. Basically i want to know which is the best way to do it, also is it easy???

Naito
Gerbil First Class

Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:25 am

easiest way:
Buy a router, $50, plug in the cables and go

best way(IMHO):
buy a cheap used computer, install a linux distro, set it up as a router/file server/web/ftp server, as well as anything else you damn well please
more tedious, but costs about the same as a router. sometimes cheaper.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:58 am

If your looking for quick and fast I would go with a Linksys or Netgear router.

You can setup a Linux router, you'll learn more about Linux and Network protocols, but it will take longer.

A dedicated router will take you about 15-30 minutes to setup and get running and the computers working on it.

Up to you though.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

Canuckle
Gerbil XP

Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:15 pm

Best would include having a Pentium 90 and install OpenBSD to setup as the router/firewall.

Second best - doing the same but with Linux.

Easiest is to get a hardware router solution like Linksys or Netgear. Easy to configure, not the most secure however.

AmishRakeFight
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:28 pm

and make sure all of the machines are folding for team 2630
lookin at a thing in a bag.

OllieTech
Gerbil

Re: New network setup

Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:00 pm

blade47 wrote:
Hello, right basically in a weeks time i will be moving into a new house, where NTL broadband will be running. I want to share the connection between 3 computers. Basically i want to know which is the best way to do it, also is it easy???

If the house was not wired for ethernet, then if you are going to use a wired network, be prepared to do a lot of cabling.

Personally, after having done both with my home and office nets, I would go with 128bit WEP wireless LAN. All you need to do is get a wireless broadband router and three pci or usb wireless cards to put on your computer systems. Unless your house is a mansion, you should have decent coverage throughout.