Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

credible
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

HTPC driving me insane

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:39 pm

Hi folks, hoping I can get some help here, I'll try and add everything you may need to know but I'm sure I'll leave something out.

I have been going bonkers trying to figure this out, for the record I have not had to many issues with being able to view my media center and the content from other computers in the house but have had a heck of a time trying to move files from my computer to the media center.

They are both running Win 8.1, both are running Eset Smart Security.

I have tried with just using plex/network and no home group, have tried just home group, have tried with both of them enabled, btw i have no desire to use the network sharing option with windows media player, prefer plex for obvious reasons.

I have tried using the windows credential manager and add my machine on the media center and the media center on mine and still no luck, I have tried through the network option as well.

Always end up with you need permission to do this, also have turned off the firewalls on both computers, windows and Eset.

I can't think of anything else atm, oh I have right clicked and chose advanced sharing on the 2 hard drives with the media on them, I think I know what I am doing in there but not 100% sure, needless to say some kind of sharing is enabled on both and the folders inside because once or twice I got the warning that you can not share the root of a drive.

Please someone help before I am certified,lol.

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: HTPC driving me insane

Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:17 pm

You will save yourself a ton of problems with a new Homegroup setup.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:50 pm

I do not use the media center crap on my 2 HTPC's/light gaming rigs and my Gaming rig/ HTPC, But I also use no Cable cards or anything like that.
I just keep all my TV shows and movies on certain drives and share the assigned video folders to be shared with everyone as read only. The I use the Smooth Video Projectthat includes MPCHC with madVR on all 3 rigs to watch them. I have all computers connected to the new Verizon router/modem via Cat5e cables since some Blue ray streams can oversaturate a wireless connection. Also I can transfer files from one PC to another at full gigabit speeds....wish we had Terabit lan connections so SSD's could transmit files at their full speeds.

BTW I made up the Terabit word but I would think since speeds have increased by 10x each time on ethernet from 10mbps to 100mbps fast ethernet to 1000mbps or gigabit speeds. I honestly forget what the 10mbps speed was called :)
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Melvar
Gerbil XP

Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:57 pm

Last time I tried and failed to deal with this sort of thing (on Windows 7) it basically seemed like you either need to set passwords for everything you possibly can, or nothing. Anything in between would cause Windows to ask for passwords that didn't exist and then refuse to accept a blank password.

Edit: ...or refuse to even ask for a password when one is needed.

credible
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:17 pm

Thanx folks, not quite the info I was hoping for,lol, but I do believe redoing the Home group setup may help but even more importantly I guess the biggest issues is the password situation.

I guess i may have confused some but I have never used the media center option within Windows, just use plex and its perfect for what i need.

I'll just keep banging my head till something makes sense, assuming that redoing the home group does nothing.