Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

karole3
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Need advice for choosing storage for companies emails servic

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:39 am

Hello! I need advice for choosing storage for companies emails service. I have no knowledge in this area and any help would be very useful.

1. When creating email service is email service hosting is must? And if I choose to use MS Exchange what exactly do I need to run it?(Windows server, licenses)

2. How do you choose servers for email services?

3. How would you handle backup of emails? Does MS Exchange has this option?

Thanks for your answers!

P.S. Maybe you know good articles or tutorials,examples that would help me to understand how to create an email service and configure its storage, database.

morphine
TR Staff

Re: Need advice for choosing storage for companies emails se

Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:01 am

Topic moved to networking forum.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:02 am

I would very strongly advise you to just use a third-party for hosting the company's e-mail.

Unless you want to spend the rest of your life fighting spam.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:05 am

If you are asking this question you are not ready to host Exchange locally. In the past, Microsoft's solution was Small Business Server, but that has been killed off and replaced by Server Essentials 2012, which does not include exchange, or Office 365 which is their hosted solution.

Even if you did have all the expertise to configure, manage and administrate a local Exchange deployment, Office365 is a cheaper, better solution for companies up to 50 staff, and it's pretty comparable with locally managed Exchange up to around 100-200 staff.

As for Spam, you deal with that on local deployments with 3rd party hosted services like Mimecast and (Symantec) Messagelabs.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:37 am

I'll make it easy for you.

https://www.google.com/a/signup/u/0/?hl ... _lang=en#0

You don't even have to click the Get Started button.

If you'll post your address, I'll send you a bill for my consulting services.

Aside from Google Apps...

Hire someone who knows what they are doing. If that's supposed to be you, refund their money.

If you're really insistent on running your own email server, Zimbra (https://www.zimbra.com/) is really nice. It runs on Linux, and they license the ActiveSync protocol from MS which makes it Exchange compatible as far as end point devices are concerned.

Then there is Postfix which comes with most Linux distros.