Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

Hellsbellboy
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wireless Connections

Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:21 pm

I have a friend that wants to be able to connect to the internet from a Laptop from basically anywhere. He works 24 hour shifts as a Firemen and on his time off would like to be able to connect and surf and post in forums, email, stuff like that. But where he works he doesn't have access to a Phone line, or broadband internet. Is there some hardware and or Service that would provide such a connection?

OllieTech
Gerbil

Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:56 pm

I used to work as an EMT on an ambulance that had 24 shifts. Here are the options that I had available and what I used:

1. Using the phone line at the station when no one was looking
2. Popping in a wireless card and going war driving when not on a call.
3. Purchasing an $200 Verizon wireless card and pay them a monthly fee for my wireless Internet.
4. Do the same thing w/ Sprint
5. Use my exsiting Sprint Sanyo 4900 w/ PCS Vision, a $20 cable from Radio shack, and setting up a dial up connection that dials #777.

The last one allowed me Internet access using the Sprint Vision network. Sprint didn't seem to have a problem with it as I was not charged. So I ended up paying $55/month to Sprint and I had Internet access when I needed it and I had my phone when I needed. Of course, I only used it for web browsing, email, and an occasional IM. Being that we were rather busy, I didn't have time to build up a lot of bandwidth usage. Plus, don't run any servers or Kazaa, as the connection is no faster than a modem connection most of the time.

Hellsbellboy
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:41 pm

cool thanks.. my friend is pretty honest Abe, so i don't think he'll want to do anything 'funny'.. so I'll check on the Version and Sprite stuff. Thanks alot. :D