Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

JavaDog
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Cool! $350 120GB NAS box WITH Router/NAT/Firewall!!

Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:06 pm

This is soo cool! Just came across this little guy!
http://www.trittonsales.com/Networking/tri-asa1120.htm

It's a 4Port Cable/DSL Router, Hardware Firewall, does NAT, supports VPN Tunneling, and it's only $350! I want one for Christmas!! :D

Whatcha think?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:20 pm

Dang that is cool!

I think the price is good for everything it does!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

brainchild786
Gerbil Elite

Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:50 pm

I might have to get 1!!!!
Easily Distracted Genius

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:25 pm

$309 @ newegg.com
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

JavaDog
Topic Author

Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:43 pm

tanker27 wrote:
$309 @ newegg.com

****! That's even better! If you tried to buy a 120gb HD and a Micro-ATX Mobo, adding in Linux for Firewall/NAT/VPN/NAS functionality...anda case/psu...you would be right around that price range.

Depending how it functions, seems to be a killer deal!

EDIT: I wonder whose Hard Drive they use?

danazar
Gerbil Elite

Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:09 pm

JavaDog wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
$309 @ newegg.com

sh*t! That's even better! If you tried to buy a 120gb HD and a Micro-ATX Mobo, adding in Linux for Firewall/NAT/VPN/NAS functionality...anda case/psu...you would be right around that price range.

Depending how it functions, seems to be a killer deal!

EDIT: I wonder whose Hard Drive they use?

"adding in Linux"... I hate to burst your bubble, but Linux shouldn't add a penny to the cost of any system you're building.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:22 pm

danazar wrote:
"adding in Linux"... I hate to burst your bubble, but Linux shouldn't add a penny to the cost of any system you're building.

And I have to burst yours, Linux isn't TOTALLY free...you have to factor the time spent installing and configuring, and setup is something that's already been done almost to completeness on this box.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

JavaDog
Topic Author

Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:47 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
danazar wrote:

And I have to burst yours, Linux isn't TOTALLY free...you have to factor the time spent installing and configuring, and setup is something that's already been done almost to completeness on this box.

Thank you, you got exactly what I meant. The config time to get linux to do Firewall/NAT/VPN and NAS Function would be signifigant for someone who isn't a Linux-Guru...Time is money :wink:

mac_h8r1

Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:00 pm

***Moved to Networking ***
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.

Canuckle
Gerbil XP

Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:27 pm

They've talked about these for some time now - I thought Linksys already had a similar offering on the market?

Personally, I'd be a little concerned for the security of having things stored on a machine that isn't physically separated from the Internet.

Regarding the "learn *nix" issue: Time is money, but education is priceless. Still, whatever works for you and your situation is good so long as it does what you want it to.

Catch a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish, and he'll kick your butt to steal your fishing rod! :lol:

JavaDog
Topic Author

Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:36 pm

Canuckle wrote:
They've talked about these for some time now - I thought Linksys already had a similar offering on the market?

Personally, I'd be a little concerned for the security of having things stored on a machine that isn't physically separated from the Internet.

Regarding the "learn *nix" issue: Time is money, but education is priceless. Still, whatever works for you and your situation is good so long as it does what you want it to.

Well, not sure if the HD is BEHIND the firewall or not...they may have designed it that way.

Lol, Dude, I could set it up in Linux just fine, thing is...90% of home-users coudln't. That's kinda what I was getting at. :wink:

Canuckle
Gerbil XP

Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:26 pm

JavaDog wrote:
Well, not sure if the HD is BEHIND the firewall or not...they may have designed it that way.

As long as it's on the same box as your firewalling, it's not that "behind".

I could set it up in Linux just fine, thing is...90% of home-users coudln't. That's kinda what I was getting at. :wink:

Necessity is the mother of invention; If someone felt so inspired, they'd learn.

tu2thepoo
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:46 pm

Canuckle wrote:

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the night.

Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Dposcorp

Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:52 pm

tu2thepoo wrote:
Canuckle wrote:

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the night.

Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Don't you mean he'll be warm for the rest of his short-and-in-agonizing-pain life? :)

EDIT: This would be a nice place to store multiple ghost images and to be able to access it from anywhere on the network.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:13 pm

Canuckle wrote:
JavaDog wrote:

As long as it's on the same box as your firewalling, it's not that "behind".

I agree in principle. However, as long as the NAS functionality is "logically behind" the firewall, the box would probably have to get rooted (or the equivalent in whatever OS it uses internally) in order to compromise the NAS. And if your firewall gets rooted, your whole network is exposed anyway... i.e., you've probably got bigger problems to worry about.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

JavaDog
Topic Author

Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:46 pm

Dposcorp wrote:

EDIT: This would be a nice place to store multiple ghost images and to be able to access it from anywhere on the network.

True! Nothing says this has to be your router. It would also be an inexpensive option for a sub-network (since it WILL accept DHCP from routers) with NAS storage for small collaborative workgroups!

Canuckle
Gerbil XP

Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:00 pm

just brew it! wrote:
However, as long as the NAS functionality is "logically behind" the firewall, the box would probably have to get rooted (or the equivalent in whatever OS it uses internally) in order to compromise the NAS. And if your firewall gets rooted, your whole network is exposed anyway... i.e., you've probably got bigger problems to worry about.

True, but the more unnecessary services the more likely of exploitation.

JavaMoose
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:25 am

Canuckle wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
However, as long as the NAS functionality is "logically behind" the firewall, the box would probably have to get rooted (or the equivalent in whatever OS it uses internally) in order to compromise the NAS. And if your firewall gets rooted, your whole network is exposed anyway... i.e., you've probably got bigger problems to worry about.

True, but the more unnecessary services the more likely of exploitation.

I think TR needs to get one from Tritton, they aren't a big-giant company - so I'll bet they would be willing to provide a review-product. It would be a neat write-up, something different...and I'm sure they could pound the hell out of it to see if there are any weaknesses (physical and network)! :wink: