Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:30 pm

okay recap time...

Bought router, and new NIC just for fsks sake. Now, i formatted my computer because all my stuff was basically games and mp3's, i backed up what i really needed. I wiped it totally clean from the recovery menu on the xp cd.

What i was saying before is that i have a hub we all use to share, but i was connected to the modem directly to elimnate the possibility of the hub being the problem

also, if my laptop isnt using the connection, then how could my isp know?

OKAY MAJOR UPDATE: anyhow... i got my router up and running, im on the imfamous laptop now through the router... I called my isp before hand yesterday and they noted something odd that they cant "troubleshoot"

Under status of my L.A.C.... (local area connection) instead of saying assigned by DHCP (which is should especially since im using the damned router now) its saying automatic private address.

Any new ideas? I really appriciate all your guys' help. Lastly, after i formatted and installed the drivrs for my nvidia onboard ethernet, when i plug into it, the light stays bright orange and the cable isnt detected as plugged in...

-Pete

Canuckle
Gerbil XP

Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:50 pm

pete_roth wrote:
Under status of my L.A.C.... (local area connection) instead of saying assigned by DHCP (which is should especially since im using the damned router now) its saying automatic private address.

Can you give more details, or possibly even a screenshot?
I've never seen anything listed as "automatic private address" so I'm curious...

Lastly, after i formatted and installed the drivrs for my nvidia onboard ethernet, when i plug into it, the light stays bright orange and the cable isnt detected as plugged in...

See if there's any BIOS updates for your motherboard...

Personally, I avoid onboard if I can - you mentioned you bought additional NICs, what about installing one of them on this system and see if it has any issues?