Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

hejlik
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Home networking problems

Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:49 pm

I am trying to connect my 2 computers in my home. I have dsl and run it through a linksys router. The last time I reformatted one of the pc's, I had this same problem. I had a hard drive go out, so here I am again, trying to get the 2 to connect to the internet.

My main pc is downstairs and is running xp home. My other pc is upstairs and is running xp pro. I have run the home network wizard about 30 times today, and I can't get the one upstairs to work.

These are the options:

1 This computer connects directly to the internet. The other computers on my network connect to the internet through this computer.

2 This computer connects to the internet through another computer on my network, or through a residential gateway.

3 other

Under the other tab comes these options

1 This computer connects to the internet directly or through a network hub. Other computers on my network also connect to the internet directly or through a hub. (this is the one that makes the most sense to me)

2 This computer connects directly to the Internet. I do not have a network yet

3 This computer belongs to a network that does not have an Internet connection.

I have tried just about every combination possible, but I can not get my pc upstairs to connect to the Internet. I did get it to see my pc down stairs once, but it still would not connect to the internet.

I had less problems networking win. xp pro and win 98 than I am having now. Very frustrating. Any ideas?[/img]

Canuckle
Gerbil XP

Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:28 pm

I don't get it - why do none of your listed options include the Linksys?
Why would you use your main (assuming that's which you referred to in #1) as a router for others if you have the Linksys?

Exactly how many computers do you have in the household?
You mention 2 - the main (XP Home) and the other (XP Pro) but are there others? Your wording leads me to believe such...

Sorry, but I find your wording unclear and confusing so I just want to confirm what I understand...

So the issue is that one or both of the computers can't get online?
If so, exactly what is happening when you try to view a webpage?

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:53 pm

You shouldn't need to go through the network setup wizard. If both computers connect directly to the router then at least try to access the router's setup page i.e. 192.168.2.1. Are both using a wireless connection?

NYU Arab
Gerbil XP

Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:01 pm

If i understood your setup correctly, you want to choose option 2 from the first list. The linksys router is considered a "residental gateway"....

hejlik
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:10 pm

I am sorry if I didn't make myself clear. The options I listed were all the options that xp had.

Am I wrong in assuming I have to run the network setup wizard to setup a home network? I am sure I could hook up to the internet without running the wizard, but could I also share a printer, and some files?

Anyway, I finally got it. I unhooked my main pc downstairs and I took my pc from upstairs, and hooked it up downstairs. I ran the setup wizard again, took it back upstairs, and now everything works fine. I don't know why it worked then? The only thing I did was run windows update when I had it hooked up downstairs. Could that have something to do with it?

Anyway, thanks for the help guys!

Canuckle
Gerbil XP

Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:32 pm

hejlik wrote:
I am sorry if I didn't make myself clear. The options I listed were all the options that xp had.

My apologies - I have never had the um.. pleasure? :) of using WinICS or their network wizard...

Am I wrong in assuming I have to run the network setup wizard to setup a home network? I am sure I could hook up to the internet without running the wizard, but could I also share a printer, and some files?

It should work, but it's MS stuff and has been inconsistent by most people's accounts.

What about what Linksys provided - I have a feeling any issue is likely a conflict between the Linksys and what the networking wizard is trying to set. I'd also heard the Linksys documentation was pretty good...

Anyway, I finally got it. I unhooked my main pc downstairs and I took my pc from upstairs, and hooked it up downstairs. I ran the setup wizard again, took it back upstairs, and now everything works fine. I don't know why it worked then? The only thing I did was run windows update when I had it hooked up downstairs. Could that have something to do with it?

Dunno - glad to hear it's working though.

Hellsbellboy
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:26 am

Try doing this.. I have a Linksys router, and found the best results is to.. make sure u have no network connections.. Then plug the modem into the router, and both PCs into the router, then turn on the modem and router, and then start up both PCs.. and they will configure.. Some reason if you do the residential gateway, I find for myself that I get disconnected alot.. The way I do it, I end up with just a LAN in my Network Places, before I would have a Residental Gateway, and then a LAN..