Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

trolli
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

service manager for XP

Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:09 pm

Ok here is my problem.

I have two seperate XP machines on a network together. No domain controller or anything like that. I have the same username and password account on each machine.

One machine isn't connected to a monitor and I haven't ordered a KVM switch yet. I will be doing that soon.

Anyway I want to be able to look at the services of this machine from the other. My main system I can go into the services control panel and stop/start services on it, and I have the option to "connect to another computer" and I type in the machine name. It finds it but says access denied basically. Both machines have the same account, and both accounts are admin accounts. I figured I shouldn't have a problem connecting into it from the other since the accounts matched.

Any ideas how this is possible, and what I'm doing wrong?

Canuckle
Gerbil XP

Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:02 pm

Start > Programs > Remote Assistance.

There's also programs like rdesktop that will allow you to login as a local user on a remote machine...

Canuckle
Gerbil XP

Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:35 pm

Doh!

You mentioned getting a KVM, and I forgot to suggest this software:

Synergy

Software KVM over Ethernet - I hadn't a chance to try it, but the idea is really cool and could save you $ome.

trolli
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:40 pm

actually after reading your post I realized that XP does have the remote desktop stuff built in, and that will do everything I need fine. Works pretty well.

Thanks Canuckle.

Canuckle
Gerbil XP

Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:15 pm

trolli wrote:
actually after reading your post I realized that XP does have the remote desktop stuff built in, and that will do everything I need fine. Works pretty well.

Thanks Canuckle.

No prob, glad to help.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:28 pm

You can do it the first way without remote desktop. You just have to add a little something to the login account.

This has existed since 3.51.

If you are prompted for a user ID and password to access a machine. (this applies mostly to workgroup scenerios, but will work in domain environments too.) Prefix the user id with the machine (or domain) name.

For Example:

machine1\useraccount

This will tell it which machine to look at for the SAM account info. Even if they match on both machines, this will help solve it.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.