Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

Thanatos
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wireless Networking Question.

Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:20 pm

I would like to set up a wireless network so my wife's father, who lives 4 houses away can log into my network. Will a regular wireless hub be powerful enough to send the signal without much packetloss?
He lives about 100 yards away. My router is on the second floor, and is right next to a window. His computer is in the middle of the house.
Thanks for any help..

Damage
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:27 pm

One way to tell.... give it a shot. I wouldn't be shocked if it worked, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't, or if it were semi-reliable. Best thing to do is try it.

hazardous_being
Gerbil XP

Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:32 pm

hey, i dont even have a wireless network so this is just guess work, but...
Is it line of site between your house and his? or are there a couple of huge houses in the way? if this is the case then the signal wont get thru. if you do have line of site then you will probibly still need an aerial from his computer to outside/close to the outer wall. if no line of site you may need to get 2 areials and mount them on your roof facing each other. the best way to find out is probibly test. take a wireless card to his house and see if it can connect to your router.

Thanatos
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:40 pm

I was asking here so I might avoid spening a ton on equipment. I have 4 comps networked (wired) in my house now. If I were going to do this, I'd buy all new stuff and go completely wireless... Otherwise, I'm going to stick with what I have.

smakkythecamel
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:11 am

Here at work we have a few cisco wireless access points that reach about 25 metres... not sure but probably 30 - 35 yards. That's with a few non-cement walls and stuff in between. Where there are cement walls we get no reception on the other side.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:14 am

It can be made to work . but my guess is that it wont work with a plain wirless hub like you have. your probably going to need a couple of high db gain antennas . i have high speed wireless internet for my house . with the type of antennas we use you can send wireless signal about 5 miles with very little loss . most of the wireless hubs say they are only good for 100 maybe 200 feet and from what i have seen its stretching it at 200 most of the time .

if you need more information on wireless equipment let me know and i will help you out anyway i can .

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:05 pm

Another factor to consider is the reciever. I have a pcmcia card (Netgear) that won't connect two "rooms" away from my access point. On the other hand, I have a usb device (also Netgear) that can tap into an access point in a neighbors house. (Not that I do it...the connection would be something like <18%) It's across the street and two houses down.
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:19 pm

Are there other properties between yours and his houses? I rented a trencher and bought some conduit and buried a heavy duty cable from a friends house to his next door neighbor's house so they could share a DSL connection. It was labor intensive, but relatively cheap and as long as you get below the frost line and bury the cable either in conduit or PVC there shouldn't be any risk of exposure to the elements.

At work here, we have wireless T1 between the schools. It shoots 5 miles at its longest point w/o any signifigant loss. But I think we paid a decent amount for the equipment.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!