Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

hindenbergbaby
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Win Server 2003--shutting down

Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:21 pm

It wasn't my choice to use Windows Server 2003, but I inherited it with the job... I understand (basically) how Apache comes down and back up, but I have very little knowledge of how Windows servers work.

My question: how exactly do you shut down/restart Windows Server? I am prepared for the annoying questioning about WHY I am shutting down, but I am unsure exactly how one does the actual shutdown. Do I have to stop services first, or is it a lot like shutting down regular Windows? Anything special to look for bringing it up again?

The manuals are oh so helpful (not), so I'm figuring it's pretty idiot proof, like shutting down and starting XP or whatever, but I wanted to double check...

shoe (sorry for my noobility)

Steel
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:01 pm

Yep, it's just like shutting down and starting up an XP machine. The only real difference is if it gets rebooted unexpectedly (crashes ;)) it will ask you what happened when it boots back up and you log in.

hindenbergbaby
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:25 pm

Great! Thanks. Luckily, no BSODs yet (it's been running about a month). I wish I could say the same for my Win2k box at home. :)

Now I just have to find a convenient time to take it down...

shoe