cable routers

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

Postposted on Thu Jan 17, 2002 1:30 am

does anyone have advice on cable routers. I don't want to pay my isp for another ip, but I also want to be sure that I am not sacrificing functionality, i.e. will netmeeting work through them? etc.
rybertronic
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Jan 17, 2002 8:55 am

If it's a "full function" cable router, almost everything can be made to work, even if you have to do a mapping of specific ports to specific inside IP addresses. Any decent commercial cable router should be able to do this. Of course, you could just put together a linux or BSD machine out of old parts to do the NAT/routing and a lot more.
Despite
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Thu Jan 17, 2002 1:10 pm

An actual router will not interfere with anything. However, you still need another IP then. Most DSL and Cable routers are actually firewall/proxy combos that do NAT. It's a bit harder to say what will and won't work. In general outbound things don't hace a problem (in general). Server processes are a bit more complex and usually require some manual configuration.
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jan 19, 2002 9:39 pm

Well, it depends on your ISP. Some can make it so the modem only will work with one MAC address, so you can't just change devices. There are three answers to that:
1. pay them to use more than on comp
2. Tell them you are changing comps, (or NICs) and give them the new MAC address. But give them the MAC of the router.
3. Get a router that will do MAC cloning.

The Linksys, for instance, will pretend to have whatever MAC address you want. SO you can just 'set' the router MAC to be the same as your comp, and the ISP won't know the difference.
resteves2
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Jan 19, 2002 11:31 pm

Yah, lots of my friends who have mini home networks have the Linksys 4 port router.
J5
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sun Jan 20, 2002 1:50 pm

A linky or netgear should do fine for ya. I've used both and am pretty pleased with em.
ANApex
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Sun Jan 20, 2002 11:34 pm

I gotta come down against the Linksys. I had two of the things die within a week of one another, after apprximately 8 months uptime each (one at a client's home, another at a client's office...good thing I had recommended the Netgear to them when they were pondering purchases, and they both bought the Linksys 'cause it was cheaper. I woulda looked pretty bad if I had recommended the Linksys & it died in less than a year.)
Other products to avoid: SMC; I have replaced more stuff from SMC in the past year than I can count...from NICs (most common), to hubs & switches, routers, & wireless access points.
Recommnedations: Netgear has been very god to me. They are, IMHO, the best of the "cheap" networking companies, usually worth far more than the rice tag would imply. Also, I have had success with Belkin DSL routers, of all things. Typically Belkin products cost many $$$ more than a comparable product, but their consumer-grade DSL router costs bout the same as the Netgear.
Hope that helps.
lenzenm
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:35 am

*NOW* you tell me...

I just got my Linksys router...

Oh well, I wanted a wireless router with MAC cloning. So I am still happy.

resteves2
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Jan 21, 2002 10:37 am

Netgears can do MAC cloning too just as a fyi :wink: might wanna think about returning the linksys.
ANApex
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Wed Jan 23, 2002 11:09 am

I've got a four port Linksys for my ADSL line. It's one of those cheapy firewall devices, and while I've heard Linksys is the bottom of the pile, mine has been working flawlessly for more than a year now. It's got pretty limited functionality, but fine for my needs. I think it only supports one IP in the "DMZ" (other side of the firewall), but that's one more than I use. Cute little HTML interface for controls. Not bad for $130 a year and some months ago.
Rancid_Meat
Gerbil

Return to Networking