Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Feb 28, 2002 3:58 am

First off, let me say I hate PacBell. I've got several clients in the Reno area that would love to get DSL but PacBell doesn't cover them. Argh! Whatever happened to competition in the broadband marketplace?

Anyhow, since I've got that off my chest, if anyone in the Reno area is reading, are there broadband alternatives in the area. I seem to remember seeing a commerical on the local stations about a wireless high-speed cable/internet service but I can't find them on the net.

Satalite is an option since latency isn't a big deal, just streaming of large packets of data back and forth, but I'd like to find something better.

Anybody?

-Howard

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Mar 16, 2002 10:10 pm

Try looking up ATT Broadband (cable) in the phone book. If they have service there its pretty good and painless. Have your network card already installed in your PC and state that you "already have a home network" when they come to install it. Then they waive the $50 installation fee and just charge $10 to pull the cable to the cable modem for you. They give you a user ID and you're in business. Its $45/month in Colorado and you save $10/month if you buy your own ATT approved cable modem.

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Mar 17, 2002 2:29 am

I'd use cable except for one small problem. This isn't a house that the connection is going into. It's an office. Can you say, Jack the rates up? I knew you could.
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:46 pm

ADSL is distance limited, I think to just over 2 miles from the switch and for security reasons (I asked) they won't tell you where the switch is located. I was lucky in Moscow, Idaho because the switch was in my neighborhood. I could not get ADSL when I moved here (GJ, CO) and checked into wireless. It was crazy expensive for much less bandwidth.
Maybe this will help. I've found this link to be useful everywhere I've moved:
http://www.dslreports.com/
Use find service then check the user ratings of the providers (written by the locals in your area). I pulled up ACI, Associated Communications Internet, Inc
in Washo Reno, NV. http://www.aci.net/ Looks like they are still building their wireless service but they offer ADSL through Nevada Bell covering reno, carson city, and sparks. You can use the Find CO utility http://www.dslreports.com/coinfo to find coverage in your area either by zip code or zoomable map. Links to user reviews are there also with comments on service and reliability.