Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

what do I need?

Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:42 pm

I want to make a wireless network in my house.

I have
cable modem
router
a few switches.

what would I need? and what brand should I go with?

morphine
TR Staff

Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:25 pm

You've got all you need save for the Wireless Access Point (WAP) and the necessary wireless cards.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:28 pm

morphine wrote:
You've got all you need save for the Wireless Access Point (WAP) and the necessary wireless cards.
what is a good AP? and some good cards to go with it? my dad wants security. I don't want people to get at my top secret government files on my computer.

morphine
TR Staff

Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:31 pm

As for a good brand, I'd have no idea, since I haven't set up any wireless networks myself. But if you're so paranoid about security, forget about wireless stuff, because its encryption scheme is very weak and easily broken. Your only saving grace in that case is to encrypt all the wireless traffic yourself through some protocol (IPSec, for instance).

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:01 pm

morphine wrote:
As for a good brand, I'd have no idea, since I haven't set up any wireless networks myself. But if you're so paranoid about security, forget about wireless stuff, because its encryption scheme is very weak and easily broken. Your only saving grace in that case is to encrypt all the wireless traffic yourself through some protocol (IPSec, for instance).
I was halfway joking. I don't really have anything important on my computer, but I would not like for people to be able to take things off my computer like that.

I don't live in a crowded area, how bad is it? I live in a fairly spread out suburb.

we are going wireless so I can have it in my room.

we will need 3 cards and an AP. what kind of connection should I get? is 802.11b even worth getting? I heard that one is just terrible for security.

what are my options?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:35 pm

Most of the wireless routers allow you to set specific MAC addresses that have access to your network, so that the random "war-driving" passers-by cannot connect.