Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Router Into Repeater

Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:05 pm

Hey guys,

tl;dr Can this router ( v7 ) be flashed?

I got this situation. My DSL modem is hooked up to a Time Capsule in my room (not mine, my friend's). Across the kitchen, I got another roomate who needs internet access, but for some reason reception in his room was really lousy when the Time Capsule was in wireless-g mode, and completely absent when we switched to wireless-n mode. When he moves his laptop into the kitchen, reception is just fine. The only culprit we can think of, is that a brick wall borders his room on the side the router is closest to. He goes from zero bars to full bars by merely crossing the threshold of his doorway (where the brick wall stops).

Question:

I have a spare router, and I'm thinking I might be able to use it as a repeater. A little bit of sniffing around got me this link. This certainly looks doable, but when I check the router's supported it says the Netgear WGR614v8 is supported. My router is the WGR614v7.

Still possible? Or will proceeding with this plan inevitably brick my router?

Yes, I realize how ironic this post is given my handle. :roll:
2014 21" iMac w Intel Iris Pro

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Router Into Repeater

Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:17 pm

No need to reflash, just turn off the DHCP on the spare router and connect the two routers via their LAN ports (so nothing on the WAN port of the spare). You may want to put them on different channels so they don't interfere with each other, remember the only separate ones are 1,6,11.

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Router Into Repeater

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:14 pm

This solution worked, although I could not find the DHCP setting in the router's software interface. The name that the router broadcasts is the same and the password is the same, so now when I scan for wifi spots there are two of the same networks. Oh well. My friend can now properly surf the internet inside the comfort of his room, so that's what counts.

Thanks for the tip!! Man, techreport is so awesome.

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Update

Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:35 pm

Hey guys, (slight necro, srry)

The router (Netgear WGR614v7) stopped forwarding the internet signal the other day. On the front of the router, the "checkmark" indicator is off, but the wi-fi and " i " indicators are on. Why? Is the router kaput? I already powered-off/powered-on all devices on the network, but that's as far as I've gone--I haven't done a hard reset yet.

Edit: nvm. Some jackoff plugged the ethernet into the WAN port. A hard-reset + reconfigure fixed the problem.