Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Combine LAN + WIFI for faster speed

Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:31 am

Hi Guru,

I have 1 though here , i wanted to approach my neighbour to setup a join network between 3-4 of us.

At first all of us will use LAN cable to connect direct to the Wireless Router and use WIFI to connect to another house WIFI LAN.

Since all of us are using the 1MB ADSL line , will we able to booast our internet speed with this approach ? 8)

Just mean to save our cost and leverage our speed around ??

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Combine LAN + WIFI for faster speed

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:54 am

No, your are going to have two home routers both assigning default gateways. Windows should look at the interface metric and just use the wired connection for everything.

If you really want to do some form of link bonding across multiple links then you really need your ISPs cooperation, either at layer 2 doing MLPPP on your DSL lines, or up at layer 3 and doing BGP.

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:47 pm

How are you saving costs if both of you continue to purchase the original internet connections? The only way to save if you had your two networks connected would be to drop one of the connections and put that towards 1 connection.

I really can't see the benefit in doing this other than if you were to drop 1 of the connections...

A better solution might be to drop one of the connections and put the money saved into a higher priced tier of your ISP's offerings. Really depends on what kind of speeds you get if you upgrade, though...

notfred, isn't there something that allows the router to load balance the two internet connections through one router? Since they're close enough, why not just have 2 cables running from the one apartment (one for the DSL/cable line to hook up to the load balancing router and the other for the link between the two routers/switches in the two apartments).

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:45 pm

There are some routers that will take 2 WAN connections and share separate connections across them, but if each connection is 1Mb/s then you can download 2 1Mb/s files at once rather than downloading a single file at 2Mb/s (for FTP/HTTP etc, Bittorrent looks like multiple small files so it would run faster). Some DSL ISPs do support MLPPP and you can do that with 3rd party firmware on a WRT54GL and get the speed of both links added together, e.g. I know TekSavvy do here in Ontario - it helps get around the throttling Bell Nexxia do on the wholesale service.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:15 pm

I'd have to agree with Nitro, sounds to me like you'd be better off having all of your neighbors cancel their service, you hook up one mondo bad ass router with some beefy high gain antennas and they just share off the big connection. The only way it wouldn't be beneficial is if ALL of you used it at the same time, and still then you can with a good router limit bandwidth to anyone given or all users. Say you have a 10mb down between all of you, limit each user to 5mb maybe... Or if possible with the router limit their speed only when another user is attempting to use some of the bandwidth. That packaged with a good QoS scheduler you shouldn't even notice that the neighbors are using the connection either. Technically some ISPs would throw a fit over this type of sharing and may even expect you to pay the commercial or business line cost. This is a crock because if you had house guests over who all had laptop there wouldn't be any big deal, its only in the face of them loosing other customers who get their service that they whine about it. Would look strange is suddenly 3-4 people in a neighborhood suddenly canceled their service and one guy boosts his to the ultimate package.

Ohh, and if your neighbors don't have wireless, they can pickup a simple Bridge that will connect to your wireless and stay connected while providing them a wired connection on their end to split as they see fit.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:45 pm

Yup, that's a far better way of doing it.

mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:34 pm

notfred wrote:
Yup, that's a far better way of doing it.

it sound good idea to start with , problem may be Malaysia ISP is offering the best 1MB for consumer, no other option available so far..