Is my Router Dying?

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

Is my Router Dying?

Postposted on Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:01 pm

Starting having troubles getting any of the devices connected to the router to connect to the internet today.

But when I directly connect my computer to the modem, I connect with ease. So I unplugged my router to reset it, nothing. I then reset the router with the manuel button that resets it to factory settings.

I was able to get two computers connected, but not our PS3. I was able to log into the router and tried to do a firmware update, but it kept getting errors.

Now I cant login to the router at all, but my 2 computers can still connect to the internet, but not the PS3.

Is this router on its way out and its time for a new one?
All civilizations become either spacefaring or extinct - Carl Sagan
Scorpiuscat
Gerbil Elite

Re: Is my Router Dying?

Postposted on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:50 pm

Managed to do a manuel firmware update and the router seems to be working just fine right now.

We will see how it goes.
Scorpiuscat
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:37 pm

If it's dying, then it may have an intermittent heating problem or a cracked solder connection, which you may have temporarily resolved by fidgeting with it for a while. However, another possibility is that one of the computers or the PS3 has a buggy driver and/or NIC, and has been DoS'ing the switch with a flood of bogus packets. If the problem reappears, try ruling that out before getting out the SwitchHammer.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:56 pm

Amazingly, the Playstation Network has been down for about 24 hours now, so its not my router fault that the PS3 wont connect.

I cant believe Sony F/U this badly that thousands and thousands of PS3 players cannot play their games. (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/latest-info-on-playstation-network-status/)

I know that I am pretty annoyed. :x
Scorpiuscat
Gerbil Elite

Return to Networking