Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Older router to blame? (Ventrillo + gaming)

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:44 am

I have an older D-Link router (SEE EDIT) that's been pretty good to me. It lacks some of the newer features like QoS that I would like to have. My biggest reason for wanting to replace it, if needed, is that recently my ventrillo server has been having problems. Very frequently, everyone is silent. Then all of a sudden, everyone's chat, as if it was queued, comes through at once. Something like 5-7 minutes of audio at once in addition to anything else they say, all lumped together.

I could be wrong, but it appeared as if rebooted my router/modem solved it short term but then the last few days, I've been getting DC'd from games when I have never DC'd before. The router is somewhat older as mentioned so there's that. Any ideas before I plop down some cash for a new one with all kinds of shiny new features I didn't have? I like D-Link and have had this router for probably 5+ years. I was looking at their new 825 model, Dual band and QoS for streaming to my soon to be Patriot box office device.

thanks.

edit: I confused an old router I also had, the linksys wrt54. The D-link I have I can't recall the model off my head. This link shows what it looks like, but it's the entire router, not just an access point. http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=326

emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Re: Older router to blame? (Ventrillo + gaming)

Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:04 am

steelcity_ballin wrote:
My biggest reason for wanting to replace it, if needed, is that recently my ventrillo server has been having problems. Very frequently, everyone is silent. Then all of a sudden, everyone's chat, as if it was queued, comes through at once. Something like 5-7 minutes of audio at once in addition to anything else they say, all lumped together.

I have that happen to me as well. If you find a solution, let me know.
Intel i7 4790k @ stock, Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac), 2x8GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + 2TB Western Digital Black
Dell 2408WFP and Dell 2407WFP-HC for dual-24" goodness
Windows 10 64-bit

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:10 am

emorgoch wrote:
steelcity_ballin wrote:
My biggest reason for wanting to replace it, if needed, is that recently my ventrillo server has been having problems. Very frequently, everyone is silent. Then all of a sudden, everyone's chat, as if it was queued, comes through at once. Something like 5-7 minutes of audio at once in addition to anything else they say, all lumped together.

I have that happen to me as well. If you find a solution, let me know.

Frequently power-cycling my router seems to cure it for a few. This is a bandaid for me though, not a solution.

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:02 am

I had this happen to me in the past and I was pretty convinced my ISP, or one of it's connections, was blocking or throttling ventrilo. I had gone over and over with them about it with them denying blocking anything, but the instant I switched ISP's everything started working again.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:10 am

SuperSpy wrote:
I had this happen to me in the past and I was pretty convinced my ISP, or one of it's connections, was blocking or throttling ventrilo. I had gone over and over with them about it with them denying blocking anything, but the instant I switched ISP's everything started working again.

So then, the ISP packet-shaping could a be a lead. Seems like an invasion of privacy to identify the type of packets being sent, even though they may not be particularly interested in what the underlying data is.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:35 am

Welcome to the Net Neutrality world.

Contingency
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:20 am

It's not too hard to justify ditching a DI-624 or comparable router these days. If you believe the router is causing your problem, fault isolation is as easy as turning on Windows firewall and connecting directly to the modem.
#182 TT: 13/DNVT, Precedence: Flash Override. Switch: Node Center. MSE forever.