Wireless network re-connect error help

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

Wireless network re-connect error help

Postposted on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:09 am

So,
To make a long story short, my main PC had a catastrophic failure, about 6 hours after I installed a new Cisco dual-band PCI wireless adapter. The adapter was working fine up to the failure, easily joining the home wireless network via the 2-minute sync feature.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=71534
Dead shorted mobo, which in-turn killed the power supply. I RMAed both, and purchased replacements instead of waiting. I put the machine back together one piece at a time last night, trying things out as I went to see if there was any other damage. Everything was going great, right up the the wireless adapter which was the last thing to be put in the PC.

So this is what I have:
The adapter installs just fine, no driver conflicts
It can see my home network just fine with a believable decent signal level.
It cannot join the network no matter what I do.

I re-created the home network with a new 128-bit code and new name, still could not connect. My wife's laptop re-connected to this new network with no issues.

The 2-minute automatic sync joining feature does not work, reports failure to join.
Adding the PIN feature does not work, reports failure (sorry I don't have the acronyms handy).
Manually entering the 128-bit code does not work, reports failure.
Moving the network card to a different PCI slot made no difference.
Uninstalling/Re-installing made no difference.

I am wondering if there is something in the driver that hashes out security based on the hardware of the motherboard, which is now different (same model) from the original.

So, is there anything I can do, or do you suspect something is wrong with the wireless card? I am ready to return it and deal with the hassle of running a wire up through the convoluted innards of my house (no two inner walls line up).

Thanks for any ideas before I hit the store and return the card.

-Mark
liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Wireless network re-connect error help

Postposted on Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:48 pm

1) The router may have MAC filtering implemented, which is unique to a specific device. Disable it or whitelist the adapter MAC.
2) WEP has known security vulnerabilities, and is more difficult to configure than WPA/WPA2. I'd reset your router and reconfigure your network for WPA/WPA2. Bonus points if you bring the router in the same room as your new adapter while you reconfigure it, so you can rule out signal problems too.
3) If #2 isn't an option, manually configure the client-stored network-specific connection config from shared to open or vice versa.
#182 TT: 13/DNVT, Precedence: Flash Override. Switch: Node Center. MSE forever.
Contingency
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Mon May 03, 2010 8:55 pm

Still having problems?
Contingency
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Mon May 03, 2010 9:04 pm

Nope, gave up and ran a wire. Just a lot of work string wires through outter walls of the house, but it went pretty well considering. I just have to patch up the holes and install a wall-mount box.
liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Mon May 03, 2010 10:33 pm

That's probably the best long-term solution. Out of curiosity, did you use a conduit for the external run? The reason I ask is because I have heard that UV degrades the cable jacket faster than one would expect for weathering. What I don't have is data to make informed lifespan estimates. If for some reason you deem it unnecessary to cover the cable (and don't mind me asking), I may follow up at some point in the future.
Contingency
Gerbil Jedi

Return to Networking