Need help setting up an FTP server

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

Need help setting up an FTP server

Postposted on Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:15 pm

i want to setup an FTP server, but have been having some annoyances with my NAS and software choices. I have a Thecus n7700 Pro, and using windows server 2008. I've tried using just the n7700, but the FTP software on there isn't so good, and I'm concerned about the security.

My first problem - and maybe this is just my ignorance - is I can't seem to get any of the software I've tried (wing ftp, filezilla, and one other, i forget) to acknowledge my NAS. I have a few of my NAS folders setup as networked drives with their own drive letter, but my only options seem to be the local drives. Also when I've done this in the past, I didn't have to setup a domain, I was able to simply set a home directory for each user and it just worked.

I've got access to windows home server and some different versions of server 2008. I had tried using the built in FTP in server 2008 standard, but that was a major pain in the ass and I never got that to work. I'm wondering whether there's anything in windows home server or server 2008 web edition that could be helpful.

I just want to simply be able to access my files remotely, have secure, high speed transfers, and be able to add new users and restrict their access to certain folders. I'm sure I'm over complicating things here, but any advice would be welcome.
leor
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Re: Need help setting up an FTP server

Postposted on Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:43 pm

http://www.bpftpserver.com/

Is pretty awesome, maybe take a look at that?
FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:54 pm

You'll never have actual security with FTP, unless you use FTP-over-SSL. Data, username, password, they're all sent in the clear with plain FTP.

Me, I use SFTP provided by my OpenSSH server, which unfortunately doesn't have support in most web browsers, but there are pretty good Windows clients like WinSCP and FileZilla.

Probably any Windows program that serves SSH would do the trick, should you want to go that route.
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:15 pm

I recommend FileZilla. If you use the FileZilla client you can easily set up FTP over SSL to connect. Windows' own FTP hook into IIS so yes you have all those domain nonsense. For your purposes you should stay away from it.

As for not recognizing network shares, I just tried on my FileZilla server client and I could see the mapped drive. There are 2 things to check I suppose:
1) Did you physically map a drive?
2) By default the FileZilla service is run under SYSTEM (on my Win2K3-dervied WHS box), so no mapped drive there. Another twist is even if you configure the service to run as your account, they don't necessary inherit from your logged on session with all the mapped drives there. This problem is a bit tricky, off the top of my head I can think of not configuring the FTP service to run as a Windows service and launch it on your own under your own account. You may have to hack up the shortcut (with a batch file) to add the mapped drives before the actual executable was launched. You definitely need to match the drive letter when you configure from the GUI (another logged on session) to the script.

Hope I am not too confusing. This is actually why I chose WHS for my file server since I can run whatever program that I want that I am comfortable with on Windows, instead of depending on whatever the NAS gives me or allows me to install (and most likely not Windows).
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:37 pm

interesting, i think i used bulletproof at one point, but it bugged out on me so i switched to winftp. That didn't run on server 2008, and when they switched to wing ftp, well that just didn't do anything I wanted.

I wouldn't mind dealing with the domain nonsense if i could figure out how to set it up and why it was necessary.

When you asked if i physically mapped the drive, i'll tell you what I did then you can tell me if I did that ;-)

I entered the ip address of the NAS, which brought up the folders, right clicked on a folder and selected map network drive. viola, networked drive, no good?
leor
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:42 pm

leor wrote:I entered the ip address of the NAS, which brought up the folders, right clicked on a folder and selected map network drive. viola, networked drive, no good?
That is good, but my suspicion is that if you are talking about FileZilla, then that mapped drive won't be seen by the service process since it is by default running under a different user.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Flying Fox wrote:That is good, but my suspicion is that if you are talking about FileZilla, then that mapped drive won't be seen by the service process since it is by default running under a different user.

Interesting I'll look into that, thanks.
leor
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Return to Networking