WiFi Connection Drops While Gaming

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

WiFi Connection Drops While Gaming

Postposted on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:15 pm

I'm running into a very frustrating problem right now. When I load up Starcraft 2 my WiFi connection drops in a game about 30% of the time. The game pauses, the "Waiting" screen in SC2 comes up, I alt-tab to the desktop, watch the tray icon a few seconds and then it shows connection is lost. Refresh wireless connections and my network still shows. Try to connect and it says it can't. Literally as soon as I close SC2 the connection will come back (80% of the time I say, but I'm talking literally right as I get to desktop it is back).

I'm using a Zonet ZEW2546 which is about the cheapest USB WiFi adapter out there. It's pretty bad. I'm using it until I decide on a better one (finding one with good Linux support is a pain, no real evidence just a lot of poorly written opinions). But I can't figure out of this is some bizarre software issue or the WiFi adapter.

Any ideas? Also, any suggestions of a quality (though under $40 if possible) USB 802.11n WiFi adapter with solid Linux support would be highly welcome as well.
Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Re: WiFi Connection Drops While Gaming

Postposted on Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:23 pm

touch the USB thing
if it is very hot it could be going bad under load

easy to test, just plug in a ethernet cable instead
potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:29 pm

In my experience, wi-fi and on-line gaming aren't the best of bedfellows. Is a wired option available for you? It isn't as big of a deal for RTS's as it is for FPS's, but its hard to be the qualify of a wired connection.
Sony a7
Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 SSM, 24-70/4 SSM
Minolta 100/2, 100-300 APO
TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:41 pm

D/L TCPView. It's a standalone .exe and written by someone who figured out so much about Windows that MS hired him. Launch it and then launch SC2. If you've instantly got a whole pile of fresh connection attempts, the adapter is probably choking under the load of all the connections.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Return to Networking