PS3 WiFi help

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

PS3 WiFi help

Postposted on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:13 pm

Hello TR Forums.

I use a WIFI connection on my PS3. I can't use a direct ethernet setup.
My I have good download and upload speed.
My console is about 15 ft and a floor above the router. My signal strength is 100% mostly.
However my game lags when I play multiplayer. Basically FPS games are unplayable this since by the time I see an opponent I get destroyed by them
(I play COD4).

Is there a way to reduce lag without changing to an ethernet connection?
I thought about putting this in the "networking" section. Would it be better there?

edit:I use a Netgear wireless G router.
Thanks,
Blur99
Last edited by Blur99 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Blur99
Gerbil
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:03 pm
Location: USA

Re: PS3 WIFI help

Postposted on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:16 pm

Moved to Networking.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20184
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: PS3 WiFi help

Postposted on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:31 am

Bandwidth and latency are different things. Whilst a lower bandwidth gives an inherent higher serialisation latency (i.e. time it takes to send a packet) it is possible to have good bandwidth and poor latency.

Do you have anything else running over your Internet connection whilst you are gaming (e.g. torrents)? If so try stopping those and see if that improves things. If it does then you will need to get QoS setup on your router (not familiar with that model so not sure if it supports QoS or not) to prioritise your gaming traffic over your other traffic.
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3726
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:10 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: PS3 WiFi help

Postposted on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:55 am

Does your router support DD-WRT? I had the same issues with a stock firmware'd Linksys WRT400N. Nothing but problems and slowness. Bandwidth was at about 1.5mbit/sec but was so erratic and lost so many packets it was unusable. I flashed my router with DD-WRT and all the problems went away. Look for a firmware update for your router or move to a free/open source firmware and retest.
Having twins has dramatically reduced the time I have to nerd out.
Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2568
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Gilbertsville, PA

Re: PS3 WiFi help

Postposted on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:14 am

notfred wrote:Bandwidth and latency are different things. Whilst a lower bandwidth gives an inherent higher serialisation latency (i.e. time it takes to send a packet) it is possible to have good bandwidth and poor latency.

Do you have anything else running over your Internet connection whilst you are gaming (e.g. torrents)? If so try stopping those and see if that improves things. If it does then you will need to get QoS setup on your router (not familiar with that model so not sure if it supports QoS or not) to prioritise your gaming traffic over your other traffic.

No.
Mostly it is the only device using bandwidth.
Blur99
Gerbil
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:03 pm
Location: USA

Re: PS3 WiFi help

Postposted on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:15 am

Corrado wrote:Does your router support DD-WRT? I had the same issues with a stock firmware'd Linksys WRT400N. Nothing but problems and slowness. Bandwidth was at about 1.5mbit/sec but was so erratic and lost so many packets it was unusable. I flashed my router with DD-WRT and all the problems went away. Look for a firmware update for your router or move to a free/open source firmware and retest.

I might try installing a newer firmware.
I hope it doesn't brick the router though.
Blur99
Gerbil
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:03 pm
Location: USA

Re: PS3 WiFi help

Postposted on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:16 am

The router is right next to a wireless phone base.
Could that be effecting router signal latency?
Blur99
Gerbil
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:03 pm
Location: USA

Re: PS3 WiFi help

Postposted on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:18 am

That could be causing some interference and retries which would impact the latency although I would expect that to impact the bandwidth as well.
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3726
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:10 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: PS3 WiFi help

Postposted on Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:59 pm

Base on Speedtest.net

my speeds are :

8mbps/.8mbps
and my ping is 120ms

Could the 120ms ping be causing the delay?
Blur99
Gerbil
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:03 pm
Location: USA

Re: PS3 WiFi help

Postposted on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:00 am

Blur99 wrote:Base on Speedtest.net

my speeds are :

8mbps/.8mbps
and my ping is 120ms

Could the 120ms ping be causing the delay?

Yes. That's a pretty awful ping to your nearest Speedtest server. Approximately how many miles are you from the server location?
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals
SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I
 
Posts: 6206
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:37 am

Re: PS3 WiFi help

Postposted on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:25 am

SNM wrote:
Blur99 wrote:Base on Speedtest.net

my speeds are :

8mbps/.8mbps
and my ping is 120ms

Could the 120ms ping be causing the delay?

Yes. That's a pretty awful ping to your nearest Speedtest server. Approximately how many miles are you from the server location?

About 150 miles.

Sometimes the ping is 59 ms.
On speedtest many of the upload tests failed. It says "upload test returned an error while trying to read the upload file."
Blur99
Gerbil
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:03 pm
Location: USA

Re: PS3 WiFi help

Postposted on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:07 am

Yep a ping that varies by 100% will definitely cause issues for you.

This could just be a fact of life based on your physical location in the world, or it could be caused by factors under either your or your internet company's control.
Where's the machine that you're running speedtest on, and how's it connected to the internet? Try going to pingtest.com and running that as well.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals
SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I
 
Posts: 6206
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:37 am

Re: PS3 WiFi help

Postposted on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:35 am

SNM wrote:Yep a ping that varies by 100% will definitely cause issues for you.

This could just be a fact of life based on your physical location in the world, or it could be caused by factors under either your or your internet company's control.
Where's the machine that you're running speedtest on, and how's it connected to the internet? Try going to pingtest.com and running that as well.


I have Time Warner Cable.

Pingtest results:
0% packet loss
ping 58ms
jitter 6ms

grade: B
Blur99
Gerbil
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:03 pm
Location: USA


Return to Networking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests