Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Weird network problem after win7 update

Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:19 pm

My main computer recently updated itself (Windows 7 Home premium 64-bit). My network consists of 5 machines (4 computers and the PS3). All of the computers were able to see each other before my main computer did its self update.. Here's where things get weird . . . .at least to me.

When I go into the network center on my main box, I only see my laptop under devices. My main computer and the laptop also show up under Media Devices. My main computer no longer recognizes my Ubuntu box (Ubuntu 10.04). All of the machines were listed before the update!

My laptop sees all of the machines on the network as it always was.

Transferring files between the main machine and the Ubuntu box was really fast before the update.

Please note that I have never let the main box update the NIC drivers because every time I try it, I lose my internet connection until I roll back the drivers.

Anyone ever seen this and have a recommendation where I can reconnect the Ubuntu box with the main machine? Samba is still going strong and the folders I shared are still listed as shared (as my laptop can see them).

Thanks.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Weird network problem after win7 update

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:56 pm

I suspect the update has disabled support for the version of the protocol that Samba is using, just a guess off the top of my head. Hunting packets with wireshark whilst opening the Network Browser may tell you what is going on.

lex-ington
Topic Author

Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:13 pm

UPDATE

My Linux box was still seeing my main box, so I decided to open up the shared folders and - BINGO!!! - the Linux box is now showing up again on my main machine. . . . . mind-blowing. :-?

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:40 am

The joys of Microsoft's Network Browser protocol are many. :D

lex-ington
Topic Author

Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:29 am

Is there a way of securing the connection that it doesn't happen again?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:49 am

The Network Browser protocol can sometimes go into some sort of loop to elect a browse master. Don't think you can address this unless you set up a WINS server or something. While you were not able to "see" the other computers with the browser, can you still ping by name and/or IP address? May be you just need to learn to remember the names. ;)
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.