Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Router Question/Issue

Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:56 pm

I got a D-Link 655 router and the past few months I have been noticing the Internet (wired and wireless) goes out for a period of a few days when I have a ethernet cord plugged into the switch area. Once the ethernet cable is removed (I have tried multiple cables same problem), the wireless network works again. My router is connected to a Time Warner cable modem. I know the cable modem works because I can connect directly to the Internet through it.

It seems to be sporadic with the router and the ethernet cable. It will be fine for a few weeks and then just stop working for three days or so and then the next time I try and plug it in it works.

I guess I am trying to figure out exactly what is going on because it is a very annoying problem. I am guessing there must be a short causing somehow by connecting the ethernet to the back but I am not sure. Any ideas and possible fixes?
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Router Question/Issue

Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:48 am

You can set the number of DHCP addresses available to be assigned in some (if not all ) routers. If you're using all of the addresses, then perhaps disconnecting from the switch frees up one of the DHCP addresses, thus re-enabling the Wi-Fi.

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Re: Router Question/Issue

Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:04 am

Nitrodist wrote:
You can set the number of DHCP addresses available to be assigned in some (if not all ) routers. If you're using all of the addresses, then perhaps disconnecting from the switch frees up one of the DHCP addresses, thus re-enabling the Wi-Fi.

I have my DHCP server from the range of 192.168.0.150 - 192.168.0.199. There are only a maximum of 8 connections at one given time (wired and wireless) so I don't think its a DHCP issue because even when I reset the router and the only computer connected is the one that I am using to configure the router I am having this issue.

Even with all the connections the network (local) is available and it looks like the router is connected to the internet because on the main screen it gives an external IP from the modem. Just when you connect to the router it says there is no internet on your computer.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.