Networking Problem

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

Networking Problem

Postposted on Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:27 am

Hi guys. i have a problem on my networking here at my office. currently we are using VPN technology. we established the tunnel between office branch and headquarters office using box-to-box. our equipment called Watchguard. can someone tell me why im facing a problem on the slow access to the network over VPN using this watchguard technology.?
zar_rina
Gerbil In Training

Re: Networking Problem

Postposted on Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:21 am

how slow is "slow" and what kind of internet connections do you have at each site?
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!
cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:44 am

the slow - it takes almost 15 minutes to open and browse Google or yahoo..at each site we are using satellite connection. and at headquarters office we use broadband. so we crate the tunnel for VPN through Internet.
zar_rina
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:16 am

OK but what are the specs of those connections? What are the upload and download supposed to be and what have you actually measured them as (not going through the VPN)?

You might want to give some details of what you've actually got setup... subnets, gateways, dns servers, traceroutes, ping times etc. Maybe some diagrams.

I'm not a watchguard person but you're going to want to start with some basic network trouble shooting.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!
cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:13 am

It also depends on how many users you have using the system at the same time, if you have a low end router mixed in somewhere it could be bottle necking your whole network.
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:58 am

zar_rina wrote:at each site we are using satellite connection
tunnel for VPN
This is your problem. Satellite has terrible latency (it takes a while for the data to go all the way up to the satellite and back down again). This means that things like TCP never open the window and remain in slow start at horrible throughput rates and would never get to use the full bandwidth. To help fix this, the satellite internet providers use various hacks on the protocols (like intercepting the TCP streams and sending Acks from the modems). This usually works well but it requires the intercepting device to be able to see and understand the packets. IPSec VPN traffic encrypts the packets so that the intercept devices cannot see what is going on and "accelerate" the connection.

The only way out of this is going to be either to drop satellite and move to something else or drop IPSec VPNs and move to a tunnelling technology that the accelerator boxes can understand (you'l have to talk to the satellite provider on if they support any tunnelling protocols).
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:29 pm

Would zar_rina's registration IP be 115.111.X.X (static-mumbai.vsnl.net.in)? Watchguard has been conducting a spam campaign of late.
#182 TT: 13/DNVT, Precedence: Flash Override. Switch: Node Center. MSE forever.
Contingency
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:44 pm

Contingency wrote:Would zar_rina's registration IP be 115.111.X.X (static-mumbai.vsnl.net.in)? Watchguard has been conducting a spam campaign of late.

Nope, it resolves out to Malaysia. Considering that one of the solutions to the problem is to remove the VPN, this isn't SPAM.

If anyone is suspicious of a post, just click the little exclamation mark in the top right corner to report it to the mods and we will take a look at it.
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Return to Networking