Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

0oALio0

Thu Mar 14, 2002 6:47 pm

My IP address changes every time i fire up my machine or restart my cable modem! Is there any way to make it stay the same? I always have to message admins of private ftps to let them know who i am. It's pissin me off.

Btw i'm using a Rogers@Home cable modem.

Speed
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 15, 2002 2:23 am

The simplest solution is to order yourself up a T-1 line; that will take care of it. :wink:

You can ask for a static IP, but chances are that they can't help you. Static IP is usually an extra cost service, and I usually see the choice with DSL and ISDN service.

If your aim is to reach your home box from somewhere else, what you can do is sign up for a dynamic DNS service like <a href=http://www.dyndns.org/>DynDNS</a>. By using DDNS, you find your computer by using a regular hostname, like damagebox.dyndns.org, for instance. That'll impress everybody except hard-core geeks, BTW.

The way DDNS works is by having a script or program on your computer that connects to the DDNS provider every once in a while. The script tells the DNS service what IP address your computer is using at the moment, and the service adapts instantly.
You are false data.

Nelliesboo
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Mar 15, 2002 2:38 am

the way 0oALio0 talks u think he would have known that already......

384mb ddr
geforce2 mx
sound blaster live
Firewire card

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nelliesboo on 2002-03-15 01:38 ]</font>

Speed
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:49 am

Nelliesboo, I really didn't think much about that. Sorry if I came off as condescending. I certainly didn't intend any slight.

I have gotten in the habit, in public forums, of sometimes stating the "obvious" in the interest of speaking to the less accomplished reader. Sometimes people are afraid to say that they don't understand what's being said, for the fear of ridicule. Others don't say anything at all. I'm aware of quite a large "lurker" population on a number of messageboards. I just want to include them if I can.
You are false data.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Mar 15, 2002 9:54 pm

Change your OS to WinNT4; once allocated its static till you make NT release it.

0oALio0

Sat Mar 16, 2002 12:55 pm

Seems like i've got 3 or 4 IPs that my computer rotate through. Why is that?

Speed
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 16, 2002 10:39 pm

0oALio0, your ISP would have the answer to that.
You are false data.