Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

making cables

Tue May 27, 2003 12:08 am

is it hard to take a 1,000 ft roll of cat6 and make it work for a 10/100/1000 network? I hear I'll need a crimper, but would it be hard? I want to save money wile running wire around my house, and buying 1,000 ft and jacks are cheaper than 3 100ft cables

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Tue May 27, 2003 12:31 am

It's not that hard, we used to do it in computer class all the time. You just need to get a crimper and a diagram that shows you the position of all the wires. If you don't line them up properly, the cable will not work. A tester would also be nice if you want to know if you set it up properly before you go to plug it in.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue May 27, 2003 1:32 am

Getting the things lined up and at proper length is the tricky part, but not especially hard when you have done a few, and when doing jacks, remember to not untwist too far, or it probably wont meet anything over the spec for 100Mbit. And yeah, get a nice cable tester, one of those $50 things with one part removable for setting in one end, then just crimp a pair of 15cm runs so you can plug it in. The ones that actually try which speed something can handle is usually way too expensive for something like that.