Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

notfred
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Goodbye IPv4

Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:50 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
I know less about the cable side of things, though it seems to be in somewhat better shape; certainly, the DOCSIS 3.0 devices I've looked at seem to have IPv6 support. But they are by no means the only devices out there, and I suspect at least some of the cable operators were still offering boxes without IPv6 support until fairly recently (and in some cases maybe still are).
DOCSIS 3.0 devices are required to support IPv6, but that doesn't mean that the ISPs have to use IPv6 on them.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:56 pm

Right, but at least the end-user hardware doesn't need a firmware flash for IPv6 to happen. (Assuming there are no bugs in the IPv6 implementation in all those routers, which is by no means a foregone conclusion)

notfred
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:42 pm

IANA did a little ceremony today and handed out the last 5 /8s to the RIRs. Quite nice timing with both the Chinese and Japanese New Years and the theme of "Out with the old and in with the new".

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:56 pm

notfred wrote:
IANA did a little ceremony today and handed out the last 5 /8s to the RIRs. Quite nice timing with both the Chinese and Japanese New Years and the theme of "Out with the old and in with the new".
And it's year of the rabbit, and IPv6 addresses can multiply like bunnies. Alas, most of us are still stuck in a sparse but endless Tiger, eating us alive.