Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

astrotech66
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

WiFi Problems

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:37 pm

I have internet service through AT&T U-Verse. The router they supplied is a 2Wire 3800HGV-B, which has built-in wireless capability. My main PC has an Ethernet connection to the router, but we also have another desktop PC, a laptop, a PS3, a printer with wireless networking, and my smart phone that all connect using the wireless connection. The problem is that the wireless connection periodically drops and then you have to reboot the router to get everything reconnected. The Ethernet connection never drops unless we just lose the whole broadband connection. It's happening often enough that it's becoming annoying. I have the wireless connection secured with WPA2-PSK and it's set up to use DHCP. At first I thought it was a problem with whatever device couldn't connect, but then I started testing the connection with my phone and realized that all the connections were dropping at the same time, so it seems to be a problem with the router itself. I've fiddled with the wireless settings on the router and that doesn't seem to help. I could try using static IPs for the computers and PS3, but that's not an option with my phone and the printer. Should I ask AT&T for a new router, or buy a wireless access point instead of using the built-in wireless on the 2Wire? Any other ideas?

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: WiFi Problems

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:53 pm

Just ask for a new one. No cost and virtually no downtime.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100