Problem with Speedstream 4200 DSL

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

Problem with Speedstream 4200 DSL

Postposted on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:12 pm

Trying to help a relative - with this model DSL modem. Access to the i-net did work at one time. Not now. In an attempt to debug, I hooked up my laptop but could not access the web. I found a pdf that is a user's guide for this model. In the troubleshooting section it discusses the possibilities for LED's not being lit. In this case, all 5 lights on the front are lit. Even after a power off/on. Ideas? Get a replacement from the ISP? Thanks.
PhilipMcc
Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Re: Problem with Speedstream 4200 DSL

Postposted on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:23 pm

Is the router part of the modem giving out an IP? Can you ping (or reach through the browser) IP addresses? (eg 69.65.116.162 for techreport.com) Can you at least get to the admin page for the modem/router?

Have you tried a full reset (not a power on/off -- see the manual). Having done the reset, have you set all the necessary parameters in the setup pages? Hint: you might want to save the current settings to refer to before doing a reset. Bonus hint: if the relative already tried a reset, those settings might be wrong. You may need to consult the ISP (or run the setup disc that probably came with the modem, if that's still available) to get the right settings; every ISP can be different (QWest has a wonky VCI setting, for example).

Of course it's also possible the ISP is having problems, or there's a physical break in the line.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Re: Problem with Speedstream 4200 DSL

Postposted on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:28 pm

Many thanks. Will give your ideas a try.
PhilipMcc
Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Return to Networking