Devices for a 5GHz N bridge

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

Devices for a 5GHz N bridge

Postposted on Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:16 am

Greetings all.

So the situation is that I'm living in a condo that is not wired in the slightest. Many neighbors, each with some form of WiFi, resulting in a nasty, overloaded 2.4GHz environment.
The goal here is a high speed link between my living room (htpc) and bedroom (server), with internet access NOT a priority.

My current setup is as follows:
Bedroom: WRVS4400N Wireless N Gigabit router - jacked in to the switch which the server is on.
Living room: WRT300N Wireless N with DD-WRT in Bridged mode. HTPC and XBOX 360 are plugged in to the switch ports on it.

The two devices are bridged in N mode on the "least busy" channel, but sometime I can't even get 10mbps out of it. What I want is to purchase two new devices, both 5GHz N (inSSIDer tells me that 5GHz is totally clear and open), one for my room, and one in the living room as a network bridge. I'm more than well versed in the technology, but the specs and devices on the market are so shrouded in marketing jargon that it's tough to tell what is a legitimate product. In addition, some "hackability" (like DD-WRT) would be a nice bonus.

Any recommendations for devices on the server and htpc end? Note that multiple ethernet ports would be convenient on the HTPC end for the 360, HTPC, and BluRay player.

Thanks in advance.
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.
mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Devices for a 5GHz N bridge

Postposted on Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:21 pm

Powerline?
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Return to Networking