Looking for new Wireless Router, need suggestions

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

Looking for new Wireless Router, need suggestions

Postposted on Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:13 pm

I'm in the market for a new wireless router. The current one I have doesnt do the job. It constantly cuts out and is not strong enough for the size of my abode(4800 square feet). 200$ is my budget. I am going to be putting it in my basement, I don't know if that is important.
:)
Anyway, thanks!
EVGA GTX 570 | Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz | Gigabyte Mobo (GA-EP35-DS3L) | 4Gb Memory @ 800Mhz | 1TB HD | Corsair 650 PSU | Antec 900 Twin Black Tower | Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Mondos
Gerbil XP

Re: Looking for new Wireless Router, need suggestions

Postposted on Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:21 pm

Mondos wrote:I am going to be putting it in my basement

If your cellar is poured concrete I'd suggest finding a tuckaway spot somewhere on the main floor where you can run Ethernet to a stand-alone wireless access point.
There are people that embrace the Oxford comma and people who don't. Never get between these people when drink has been taken. I use the Oxford comma and always will. The rest can sod off.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:40 pm

I would probably go with a couple of nanostation, nanostation locos, or picostations from Ubiquiti. They all support and come with included passive power over ethernet injectors so optimal discrete emplacement is easier.
dwhess
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:01 pm

Whatever you get, google it to see if there are any known issues. For example, the dlink router that my roommate uses has a known issue (that dlink has not fixed or cannot fix) that causes it to be permanently locked. That is, the router will operate but you cannot access its control panel unless you do a hard reset, thereby losing your settings. Needless to say this causes some consternation in my house. Be sure it doesn't happen to you and check the 'net for problems before you buy.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:49 pm

Mondos wrote:I'm in the market for a new wireless router. The current one I have doesnt do the job. It constantly cuts out and is not strong enough for the size of my abode(4800 square feet). 200$ is my budget. I am going to be putting it in my basement, I don't know if that is important.
Anyway, thanks!

4800 sq ft wow, you have intercom for that place 'abode'........more like manor or villa.

You could try a Dlink dir-655, pretty much available everywhere, if it doesn't do the trick just return it.

If you need more info on wireless networks try out www.smallnetbuilder.com
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:01 pm

I think I'd go with two or three, since you've got such an outsized house.
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:43 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
Mondos wrote:I'm in the market for a new wireless router. The current one I have doesnt do the job. It constantly cuts out and is not strong enough for the size of my abode(4800 square feet). 200$ is my budget. I am going to be putting it in my basement, I don't know if that is important.
Anyway, thanks!

4800 sq ft wow, you have intercom for that place 'abode'........more like manor or villa.

You could try a Dlink dir-655, pretty much available everywhere, if it doesn't do the trick just return it.

If you need more info on wireless networks try out http://www.smallnetbuilder.com

Some of the reviews on that router suggest low range signal. I am looking for a router with a lot range and high speed(remember the size of my house) :D

EDIT: What do you think about this one?
EVGA GTX 570 | Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz | Gigabyte Mobo (GA-EP35-DS3L) | 4Gb Memory @ 800Mhz | 1TB HD | Corsair 650 PSU | Antec 900 Twin Black Tower | Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Mondos
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:32 pm

idk, bro, I'm looking for a router with very low range and super slow speed :-?
any wireless N router will be fine and if it doesnt reach then you will need to buy a second router or a repeater
obviously, you want to put the router in the center of the house if possible, not in a basement surrounded by concrete unless you web surf in your basement closet
that linksys router should be fine since it is wireless N, go ahead and try it
potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:43 pm

Talking from experience (I have one!), the Netgear DGND3300v2 is excellent. It's wireless N and A (overlays the 2 at once for steady signal) and all that, and is very fast. I've got mine stuffed in the cupboard under the stairs on the ground floor and still get a 87% signal on the roof (in the converted attic) - So it gets thru floors and walls pretty well. Maximum speed quoted is 300MB/Sec, and at the furthest point with most obstacles to clear it connects at 217MB/Sec.

I can't find any in stock (Cost me approx £150), as it looks like it's now been replaced with the DGN3500. It's the same as the one I have, but with Gigabit so should still be just as good. I can't recommend my router enough... :)
MacBook Pro Retina | 13" Intel i7 | 8GB RAM | 512GB SSD
Surface RT 64GB | Lumia 920 32GB
AMD FX-8150 (4.4Ghz) | MSI 990FXA-GD65 | 16GB Corsair DDR3 1866 | 2 Radeon HD 6950 XFire | 2 Crucial 512GB M4 SSD RAID 0
geekl33tgamer
Gerbil XP

Return to Networking