XP Network Adapter Missing

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

XP Network Adapter Missing

Postposted on Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:29 pm

My brother's XP SP3 PC shows no network (ethernet) adapters when it first boots up, after a restart though the adapter works fine and shows up in Device Manager/Network Connections.

I think this must be a driver issue, any ideas?
Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus Z87-A | G.Skill 8GB 2400MHz CL10 | Asus DirectCU II R9 290 4GB | Samsung 840 120GB |Thermalright Macho | Lancool PC-K59
puppetworx
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Re: XP Network Adapter Missing

Postposted on Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:28 pm

is this a wireless adapter?
card could be close to failing but try and reinstall the drivers
you might try to move the PCI slot too
potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:39 am

No it's an Ethernet chip on the motherboard not a card. It's really bugging me. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and checking necessary services are running all to no avail. I'd better try a LiveCD on it.
Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus Z87-A | G.Skill 8GB 2400MHz CL10 | Asus DirectCU II R9 290 4GB | Samsung 840 120GB |Thermalright Macho | Lancool PC-K59
puppetworx
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:28 am

Do you have it set as a boot option in the bios? They can time out during a cold boot as they are waiting for a response.
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:22 am

axeman wrote: If it's a crab-based NIC I'd forget about it and toss a different an Intel adapter in there.
Fixed that for you :-)
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:49 am

notfred wrote:
axeman wrote: If it's a crab-based NIC I'd forget about it and toss a different an Intel adapter in there.

It's how I fixed my Crab-related NIC issues.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:29 am

Captain Ned wrote:
notfred wrote:
axeman wrote:If it's a crab-based NIC I'd forget about it and toss a different an Intel adapter in there.

It's how I fixed my Crab-related NIC issues.

The Crab is unfairly disrespected these days IMO. Yes they had issues in the past; but lately they seem to have cleaned up their act quite a bit. I've used a number of Rosewill Crab-based gigabit NICs to upgrade older systems (which only had 100 mbit onboard) to gigabit. "Cheap and cheerful", as the saying goes. :wink:
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:33 am

Well, I am talking about a mobo I bought in 2007, which was right in the heart of the Crab's bad days (coming from someone who still remembers Darth VIA).
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:40 am

You could try grabbing the latest driver straight from Realtek. Sometimes that has fixed problems for me.
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:44 am

Captain Ned wrote:Well, I am talking about a mobo I bought in 2007, which was right in the heart of the Crab's bad days (coming from someone who still remembers Darth VIA).

Yeah, I still maintain a few VIA-based systems. IIRC the wife and daughters still have VIA-based desktops, and my home router runs on an old VIA-based board. A couple of the old test servers here at work are VIA based as well. The thing about VIA-based boards was that they were really hit-or-miss. Some models were fine (e.g. the MSI K8MM-V was a terrific little budget mobo back in the day), while others were basically a train wreck on a PCB.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:22 am

Shuffled the last VIA box (MSI KT400A) to the local recycle place a couple of weeks ago. I agree with your observation that proper mobo design (MSI in both of our exemplars) went a long way to nullifying Darth VIA.

More on the topic: I have been conditioned over time to inherently distrust on-mobo NIC setups as I've had issues with every mobo NIC I've owned (sample size is 3, so the confidence level is barely above random). The interesting part of that is that the integrated NICs on mobos I've bought for desktop builds have always given me trouble, yet the NICs integrated into the myriad of laptops I've used in my work life have never burped once.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:40 am

Captain Ned wrote:Shuffled the last VIA box (MSI KT400A) to the local recycle place a couple of weeks ago. I agree with your observation that proper mobo design (MSI in both of our exemplars) went a long way to nullifying Darth VIA.

It could very well be that MSI was the only one of the major mobo vendors who really knew how to tame VIA's chipsets. Over the years I've dealt with VIA-based boards from several mobo vendors -- MSI, DFI, Abit, FIC, and Asus (normally my brand of choice). MSI seemed to be the only one of these whose VIA-based boards were consistently free of annoying quirks.

Captain Ned wrote:More on the topic: I have been conditioned over time to inherently distrust on-mobo NIC setups as I've had issues with every mobo NIC I've owned (sample size is 3, so the confidence level is barely above random). The interesting part of that is that the integrated NICs on mobos I've bought for desktop builds have always given me trouble, yet the NICs integrated into the myriad of laptops I've used in my work life have never burped once.

The only serious onboard NIC issues I can recall ever having were with nVidia; and the fix was easy once you knew what it was (uninstall the piece of crap firewall package that came bundled with the drivers).
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:00 am

just brew it! wrote:The only serious onboard NIC issues I can recall ever having were with nVidia; and the fix was easy once you knew what it was (uninstall the piece of crap firewall package that came bundled with the drivers).

Before I dropped an Intel NIC in the box (couldn't find a suitably-priced 3C509) the Crab chip on my Abit IP35 Pro flashed connectivity error messages about every 10 seconds. A nuke from orbit didn't fix it, nor did the latest drivers from Dr. Zoidberg.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:04 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I checked BIOS first, then uninstalled the driver and reinstalled the latest one from Mobo manufacturer's website (haven't tried direct from Realtek though) then I checked services. I'll be back round there soon and see if it works okay with a Linux LiveCD. It's an XP machine about 2 years from last install so I'll try SFC as well and SpinRite the Hard Drive and anything else I can think of. I'll do a fresh install if all else fails (it's about time) - I expect that to be painful and then once I've done all that I'll wonder why I didn't just buy a new NIC. But I'll probably be satisfied if I solve it. What a sadist.
puppetworx
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:10 am

bthylafh wrote:You could try grabbing the latest driver straight from Realtek. Sometimes that has fixed problems for me.

Just to let you know that fixed the problem, thanks!
puppetworx
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Return to Networking