Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

wireless range

Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:43 pm

I'm puttin a metal outbuilding, with insulation, this year and may wind up having a PC out there. It'll be about 60 feet from the wireless router I have in my house. My house is wood/aluminium siding. Do you think I can connect to my network from that outbuilding or will I have to figure something else out or run a physical line to it?

Thanks
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: wireless range

Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:55 pm

What protocol? Are you in a heavily populated area? Are there many other wireless devices in the neighborhood?

From the outset, I would be pretty confident that -n would work just fine, at 5 ghz. 2.4 and I'm less optimistic. Any chance you could test signal strength there with a wireless device now?
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:57 pm

That's going to be iffy with the range & 2 sets of metal siding. If you can hang a router in a window at each end it'll be a lot easier. If not, grab 2 Linksys WRT-54GLs, or whatever Tomato-capable router floats your boat and just crank up the transmission power on both ends using Access Point + WDS mode.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:58 am

There's one other network I'm on the range of, but it's just me and it.

My current router is 2.4 but an upgrade isn't a big deal either.

I'll lay hands on a wireless network finder and see what it says in the ocation of the building. Worse to worse I'll take Cap'ns advice and hope that works.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:17 am

Captain Ned wrote:
That's going to be iffy with the range & 2 sets of metal siding. If you can hang a router in a window at each end it'll be a lot easier. If not, grab 2 Linksys WRT-54GLs, or whatever Tomato-capable router floats your boat and just crank up the transmission power on both ends using Access Point + WDS mode.

Since OP mentioned that there's another network in range, probably he'll want to give the routers directional antennae so they communicate with each other but don't interfere with the neighbors. You should be able to make a serviceable, if ghetto, pair from aluminum or Pringles cans.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x