Router dropped all wireless connections

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

Router dropped all wireless connections

Postposted on Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:50 pm

I have a Linksys WRT300N router that is about 4 years old. Last night it dropped all the wireless connections and none of them will reconnect. We can connect to the neighbors unsecure router, and my main pc (which is hard wired to the router) works just fine.

I've powered down the cable modem and the router several times and it doesn't make any difference. The firmware is up to date too.

It just happened out of the blue. Any ideas?

If my router has gone "belly up", does anyone have a recommendation on a replacement? I'm considering the D-Link DIR-655.

Thanks all.
Corsair 650D | Corsair AX750 | MSI XPower Big Bang X58 | Intel i7-950 | Corsair Hydro Series H80i | MSI GTX670 OC PE | 12gb GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 | WD Caviar Black 1TB w/ Win 7 64-bit | MS Reclusa Keyboard | Logitech MX518 | Asus VW246H & VW224U
RickyTick
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:29 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Router dropped all wireless connections

Postposted on Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:01 pm

You can't run DD-WRT on the DIR-655 and that's my main requirement when i'm looking at wireless routers now. Then comes gigabit and N. The features and stability it offers makes it #1 for me. I take it gigabit and N are important to you?
Hallucin8
Gerbil
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Router dropped all wireless connections

Postposted on Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:07 pm

So, you'd like something like the Netgear WNR3500L better than the D-link DIR-655?

My DIR-655 seems to do the job. When Newegg recently had it on sale for $55, I bought another one to upgrade my parents' network.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15608
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: Router dropped all wireless connections

Postposted on Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:16 pm

I like the Linksys WRT610N / E3000, if you can get them cheaply. The stock firmware was surprisingly bad, wireless connections were extremely flaky. After flashing it with DD-WRT it works great now.
TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:29 pm

Re: Router dropped all wireless connections

Postposted on Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:14 pm

I don't know enough about DD-WRT to even know if I want/need it or not. :)

My requirements would be N and Gigabit. Dual band would be nice, but I don't have anything in the house that would interfere with the frequency anyway. I like that the DIR-655 has a USB port.

Currently the DIR-655 is $65 with free shipping at Newegg and Amazon.

The Netgear WNR3500L has very similar specs and is $70 plus $1 shipping at Newegg.

So do any of you think that my current router has simply bit the dust?
Corsair 650D | Corsair AX750 | MSI XPower Big Bang X58 | Intel i7-950 | Corsair Hydro Series H80i | MSI GTX670 OC PE | 12gb GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 | WD Caviar Black 1TB w/ Win 7 64-bit | MS Reclusa Keyboard | Logitech MX518 | Asus VW246H & VW224U
RickyTick
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:29 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Router dropped all wireless connections

Postposted on Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:51 pm

To me, it sounds like it. You can try re-flashing it with the same firmware, and then doing a factory reset, it MIGHT work.
TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:29 pm

Re: Router dropped all wireless connections

Postposted on Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:57 pm

TwistedKestrel wrote:To me, it sounds like it. You can try re-flashing it with the same firmware, and then doing a factory reset, it MIGHT work.


Done that, same result. Thanks
Corsair 650D | Corsair AX750 | MSI XPower Big Bang X58 | Intel i7-950 | Corsair Hydro Series H80i | MSI GTX670 OC PE | 12gb GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 | WD Caviar Black 1TB w/ Win 7 64-bit | MS Reclusa Keyboard | Logitech MX518 | Asus VW246H & VW224U
RickyTick
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:29 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Router dropped all wireless connections

Postposted on Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:41 am

Depending on the revision you have, you could try flashing it to DD-WRT since it seems to be wireless fail. Sounds like the internal wifi components went kaboom. Try taking it apart and looking for burnt spots on the board? At least it might satisfy your curiosity.
Hallucin8
Gerbil
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Router dropped all wireless connections

Postposted on Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:21 am

RickyTick wrote:
TwistedKestrel wrote:To me, it sounds like it. You can try re-flashing it with the same firmware, and then doing a factory reset, it MIGHT work.

Done that, same result. Thanks

Yup, sounds like a dead router to me.

If you like to tinker, pop the casing open and see if there are any obvious bad capacitors (bulging/leaking). It may be possible to repair it fairly inexpensively if you've got a soldering iron and know how to use it.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 38142
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Router dropped all wireless connections

Postposted on Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:25 pm

just brew it! wrote:
RickyTick wrote:
TwistedKestrel wrote:To me, it sounds like it. You can try re-flashing it with the same firmware, and then doing a factory reset, it MIGHT work.

Done that, same result. Thanks

Yup, sounds like a dead router to me.

If you like to tinker, pop the casing open and see if there are any obvious bad capacitors (bulging/leaking). It may be possible to repair it fairly inexpensively if you've got a soldering iron and know how to use it.


Oh yeah, taking it apart is a given.:)

The reviews on this router when new were mediocre at best, so I guess I'm ready to purchase a new router anyway. I find myself leaning towards the DIR-655.

Thanks to all for the great help...as usual.
Corsair 650D | Corsair AX750 | MSI XPower Big Bang X58 | Intel i7-950 | Corsair Hydro Series H80i | MSI GTX670 OC PE | 12gb GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 | WD Caviar Black 1TB w/ Win 7 64-bit | MS Reclusa Keyboard | Logitech MX518 | Asus VW246H & VW224U
RickyTick
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:29 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Router dropped all wireless connections

Postposted on Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:12 pm

Yeah, sounds like something is toast. A lot of routers run hot, so they tend to toast themselves eventually.
RickyTick wrote:The reviews on this router when new were mediocre at best, so I guess I'm ready to purchase a new router anyway. I find myself leaning towards the DIR-655.
Linksys have been in declline ever since Cisco bought them and made them their "consumer" line (carefully avoiding adding any feature that might impinge on their enterprise products)

There hasn't been much progress in routers/APs since N lost its draft status, unfortunately. The 655 is still a good choice; there's also this deal.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan
 
Posts: 9999
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Router dropped all wireless connections

Postposted on Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:42 pm

UberGerbil wrote:Yeah, sounds like something is toast. A lot of routers run hot, so they tend to toast themselves eventually.
RickyTick wrote:The reviews on this router when new were mediocre at best, so I guess I'm ready to purchase a new router anyway. I find myself leaning towards the DIR-655.
Linksys have been in declline ever since Cisco bought them and made them their "consumer" line (carefully avoiding adding any feature that might impinge on their enterprise products)

There hasn't been much progress in routers/APs since N lost its draft status, unfortunately. The 655 is still a good choice; there's also this deal.


Yeah, I saw that a few minutes ago. Thanks for pointing that out. It might be worth the $40 difference if it's a much better router.
Corsair 650D | Corsair AX750 | MSI XPower Big Bang X58 | Intel i7-950 | Corsair Hydro Series H80i | MSI GTX670 OC PE | 12gb GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 | WD Caviar Black 1TB w/ Win 7 64-bit | MS Reclusa Keyboard | Logitech MX518 | Asus VW246H & VW224U
RickyTick
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:29 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Router dropped all wireless connections

Postposted on Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:39 am

*Update*

It seems that the router fairy came by some time in the night. Suddenly all the wireless devices are connected perfectly. I did absolutely nothing to the router since Monday.

Does this make any sense?
Corsair 650D | Corsair AX750 | MSI XPower Big Bang X58 | Intel i7-950 | Corsair Hydro Series H80i | MSI GTX670 OC PE | 12gb GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 | WD Caviar Black 1TB w/ Win 7 64-bit | MS Reclusa Keyboard | Logitech MX518 | Asus VW246H & VW224U
RickyTick
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:29 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Router dropped all wireless connections

Postposted on Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:27 pm

Could be a temperature-related failure. Or maybe there's a strong source of RF interference in the area that is turned off now.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 38142
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Router dropped all wireless connections

Postposted on Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:41 pm

just brew it! wrote:Or maybe there's a strong source of RF interference in the area that is turned off now.
Is that likely, since they could connect to the neighbors? Can strong RF interference be localized to only part of the 11 channel spectrum?
wibeasley
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:19 pm
Location: Norman OK

Re: Router dropped all wireless connections

Postposted on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:44 pm

wibeasley wrote:
just brew it! wrote:Or maybe there's a strong source of RF interference in the area that is turned off now.

Is that likely, since they could connect to the neighbors? Can strong RF interference be localized to only part of the 11 channel spectrum?

If the source of interference was very near the malfunctioning router, I imagine it could've disrupted just that router's ability to hear the PCs trying to connect to it, without affecting other routers further away and/or in the opposite direction.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 38142
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Router dropped all wireless connections

Postposted on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:53 am

Oh that makes sense. I hadn't thought of the router's need to hear back among noise, only the card's need to hear among the noise.

RickyTick wrote:It seems that the router fairy came by some time in the night. Suddenly all the wireless devices are connected perfectly. I did absolutely nothing to the router since Monday. Does this make any sense?
I just dealt with (hidden) blown capacitors in my GPU. That was frustrating troubleshooting because identical conditions would lead to different results, with no apparent pattern. If your router dies again, and you're on the verge of junking it, it might be worth opening the case and seeing if any caps are blown or bulging.
wibeasley
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:19 pm
Location: Norman OK

Re: Router dropped all wireless connections

Postposted on Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:03 am

Like others mentioned it could be something degrading below spec, possibly heating issues. Try locating the RF base chip on the router's board (may be too hot to touch after use) and installing a tiny heatsink using metal glue at the corners and a bit of thermal compound on the surface. May help stabilize operation, and can't hurt unless you botch the gluing.
trackerben
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:28 am


Return to Networking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests