Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

giga what?

Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:41 pm

I'm going to be running cat 6 from my basement to the rooms upstairs next week, so I won't have to run stuff later. my question is if anyone knows a way I could make an adapter so I could have my two computers connected over gigalan (both have gigalan cards) without paying for a switch.

BigGeek
Gerbil

Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:47 pm

you could make a cross over cable. you could even make just a small cross over and then cuple the line together.

crazybus
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:49 pm

How about you get/make a crossover cable? Is that what you're looking for? you could always install another nic to connect to the internet or other computers.
[email protected] | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2-800 | MSI GTX 560 Ti | Lian Li PC-7B | Corsair 450VX | Dell 2005FPW

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:37 pm

crazybus wrote:
How about you get/make a crossover cable? Is that what you're looking for? you could always install another nic to connect to the internet or other computers.

basicly what I want to do is this

I have my internet via a hub going up stairs, I am hooked to a switch upstairs, and so is my brother

we share files A LOT I mean a TON.... we like to have the most bandwidth possible. with a peak of 100 mb/s sucks, even if our HDD's can only write that fast, our memory can store it for immediate use.

how do you make a crossover cable?

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:43 pm

Google has all u need

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:00 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
Google has all u need
I am way ahead of you, but I can't find one for cat 6, are there any differences?

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:40 pm

Unless you are running some really high-end systems, I doubt you will see a huge difference between 100mb/sec and 1gb/sec LAN. It's not just the disk throughput... there's also software overhead, and you may even start banging up against the PCI bandwidth ceiling, especially if the disk you're writing to is also on a PCI-based disk controller.

AFAIK Cat6 cable pinout is the same as Cat5.

Both systems will also need to have a second NIC, to connect to your hub (for Internet). I suppose you could use ICS from one of them to provide Internet access to the other one over the gigabit connection... but then the second PC can't access the Internet if the first one is turned off.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:20 pm

Just brew it, I'm glad someone finally said something.

If you use a crossover cable you can only connect two devices. In your can one PC directly to the other. Then forget about Internet and the like. Picture a soup can phone, you know two soup cans and a string, can't talk to anyone else now, can you?

For those of you who say 1Gbps is not much faster then 100Mbps need to do the math. Remember it in 'bits' not bytes or kilobytes. 100Mbps breaks down to a theoretical rate of 11.9 MB per second.

or 119.2 MB per second on a gig network. Now your not going to reach that ceiling on the average desktop PC. The PC could go faster then what 100Mbps would allow.

However I use 100Mbps and I move large files around all day. I don't notice to much a difference. Now you also need to remember that if your BOTH moving files at the same time that your network is going to slow down.

Just to check try this utility here to see what your throughput is. Might be something else going on.
Last edited by zgirl on Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

Despite
Gerbil XP

Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:03 pm

make absolutely sure that you understand the pinout for 1000baseT crossover is different than 100baseTX crossover. I won't embarass myself by trying to ascii-graphic it up, but you can google for it.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:07 am

about the telephone thing, we both have 3 LAN cards...