Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

Mondos
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

How do I use an external HDD as a network server?

Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:25 pm

I have a ASUS RT56U Wireless router. I tried connecting my external HDD to it via USB, but it only made it act as a media server (all i could do was play media content from other computers). I was wondering if there is a way I can connect the HDD via USB to the router and use it on the network as a server that everyone can read/write any file format onto.

Thanks
EVGA GTX 570 | Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz | Gigabyte Mobo (GA-EP35-DS3L) | 4Gb Memory @ 800Mhz | 1TB HD | Corsair 650 PSU | Antec 900 Twin Black Tower | Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Re: How do I use an external HDD as a network server?

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:21 pm

Mondos wrote:
I have a ASUS RT56U Wireless router. I tried connecting my external HDD to it via USB, but it only made it act as a media server (all i could do was play media content from other computers). I was wondering if there is a way I can connect the HDD via USB to the router and use it on the network as a server that everyone can read/write any file format onto.

Probably not... It needs some kind of NAS instructions to allow user security of some sort... Or allow all access to the hdd as writable perhaps?

Check into: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage