Comcast Replacement Modem

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:07 pm

Can anyone recommend a good modem to replace my Comcast broadband modem so I don't have to pay the stupid rental fee. I was looking around and I saw some that were router and modem all in ones. Any of those that can be recommended?
Intel I7-2600k, Asus P8P67, 16GB DDR3 1600mhz, Geforce GTX 780, ASUS Xonar D2, Samsung Evo 250GB, Western Digital Black 1TB, Corsair HX750w
Omniman
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:24 am
Location: White River Junction, Vermont

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:23 pm

I think the Motorola SB6120 or SB6121 are the best DOCSIS 3.0 modems around. Never had much luck with the modem/router gateway devices.
JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1867
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:11 pm
Location: Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:43 pm

JJCDAD wrote:I think the Motorola SB6120 or SB6121 are the best DOCSIS 3.0 modems around. Never had much luck with the modem/router gateway devices.

I bought an SB6120 to replace my dying SB4200. Great modem. It will push uplink signal through crappy wiring like no other. And yes, I also subscribe to the KISS principle, i.e: a duty for each box and a box for each duty.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20630
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:25 pm

JJCDAD wrote:I think the $83 Motorola SB6120 or $88 SB6121 are the best DOCSIS 3.0 modems around.
QFT.

If you need a router, add a separate box.
$45 TRENDnet TEW-639GR
$70 D-Link DIR-655
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15589
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:53 pm

I'm running the SB6120, and it's been a doggone good modem. Better yet when you have full DOCSIS 3.0 (I've run it under 2.0 and 3.0).

It's what I replaced my Comcast SB4200 with.
Core i7-4790K, GIGABYTE Z97X-UD5H-BK, 16GB (4x4) G.Skill RipJaws PC1866
Corsair 650D case, Seasonic X750 Gold PSU
WD `Raptor 600GB boot, WD Caviar Black 1TB data, NEC 7200 DVDRW
ASUS STRIX GTX 970, X-Fi Titanium, Dell 2408WFP
LoneWolf15
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:36 am
Location: SW Meecheegan

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:33 am

I went ahead with the SB6121. It would be nice to see some speed increases too since my modem I currently have is an old Motorola Surf or whatever they call them. Thanks everyone for the responses!
Intel I7-2600k, Asus P8P67, 16GB DDR3 1600mhz, Geforce GTX 780, ASUS Xonar D2, Samsung Evo 250GB, Western Digital Black 1TB, Corsair HX750w
Omniman
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:24 am
Location: White River Junction, Vermont

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:10 pm

i miss old modems... 300 baud.. 1200.. 2400... 14.4k....28.8k.... 56k.... sigh.... the ole' bbs days will never exist again. :cry:
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7367
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:06 am
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:19 pm

thegleek wrote:sigh.... the ole' bbs days will never exist again. :cry:
Isn't that what this forum does? What does phpBB stand for?

I have no nostalgia for 110 baud connections to CompuServe using a VIC-20. I've got an 18,000,000 bit/second connection now and I don't want to go any slower.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15589
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:06 pm

thegleek wrote:i miss old modems... 300 baud.. 1200.. 2400... 14.4k....28.8k.... 56k.... sigh.... the ole' bbs days will never exist again. :cry:


My Courier V.Everything external is still in a box downstairs, complete with its gold SysOp deal plate. It used to sit on top of my massive AOpen HX-08 full tower.

I cannot, will not, get rid of it due to sentimentality.

Image
Core i7-4790K, GIGABYTE Z97X-UD5H-BK, 16GB (4x4) G.Skill RipJaws PC1866
Corsair 650D case, Seasonic X750 Gold PSU
WD `Raptor 600GB boot, WD Caviar Black 1TB data, NEC 7200 DVDRW
ASUS STRIX GTX 970, X-Fi Titanium, Dell 2408WFP
LoneWolf15
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:36 am
Location: SW Meecheegan

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:16 pm

I still have a 300 baud acoustic coupler somewhere in the crawlspace.

Edit: Here's a pic of it I posted in a forum thread several years ago:
Image
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 38085
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:38 pm

I recently got a zoom dosics 3 modem for comcast and it works as well. The moto 6121 was expensive for a on/of switch and a high end transmitter
The finest tools are forged from the hottest fires
ShadowEyez
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:31 pm

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:23 am

You can get a Surfboard 5101U for ~$25 on Ebay. I just sent one to my mom this week since hers died and she started renting one from Comcast.
Z68XP-UD4 | 2700K @ 4.7 GHz | 16 GB | GTX 780 SLI | PCP&C Silencer 950 | XSPC RX360 | Heatkiller R3 | D5 + RP-452X2 | HAF 932 | 480 GB Extreme Pro
Waco
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:14 pm

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:41 am

just brew it! wrote:I still have a 300 baud acoustic coupler somewhere in the crawlspace.

Edit: Here's a pic of it I posted in a forum thread several years ago:
Image

Good luck finding a phone that will fit in the coupler. :wink:
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20630
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:26 am

TheWacoKid wrote:You can get a Surfboard 5101U for ~$25 on Ebay. I just sent one to my mom this week since hers died and she started renting one from Comcast.


The 5-series is only DOCSIS 2. If you're not in a DOCSIS 3 area, that's fine, but if you are, you're short-changing yourself when it comes to performance and continuous throughput.

For your mom, this probably isn't a big deal. For you, or other enthusiasts, it is. also, the Surfboard 6 series has a better case design that keeps the internals cooler.

ShadowEyez wrote:I recently got a zoom dosics 3 modem for comcast and it works as well. The moto 6121 was expensive for a on/of switch and a high end transmitter

The USR Courier V.Everything was expensive for a box, too. While I can't comment on Zoom Telephonics' current reliability (they were decent in analog modem days until their final year or two when they started watering down their products), people buy the Motorola for the same reason they bought USR's Courier. Guaranteed compatibility and support with most cable services (Comcast, for example, doesn't officially support all modems), and long-term reliability.

$80-90 for a Motorola cable modem doesn't bother me considering I'd have paid more than that this year for monthly rental fees from the cableco for theirs. I can justify it no problem. Heck, a Courier V.Everything was $200 back in the day, but for something you use every day of the year, something you can count on is worth it.

Nothing against the Zoom, btw --I just think "expensive" is relative for something you use all the time for a service you don't want to be without.
Core i7-4790K, GIGABYTE Z97X-UD5H-BK, 16GB (4x4) G.Skill RipJaws PC1866
Corsair 650D case, Seasonic X750 Gold PSU
WD `Raptor 600GB boot, WD Caviar Black 1TB data, NEC 7200 DVDRW
ASUS STRIX GTX 970, X-Fi Titanium, Dell 2408WFP
LoneWolf15
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:36 am
Location: SW Meecheegan

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:35 am

Btw, nice shot JBI. It makes me think of that phone trace scene in "Sneakers", as silly as that might have been. I still like that movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VlyZIywY9c
Core i7-4790K, GIGABYTE Z97X-UD5H-BK, 16GB (4x4) G.Skill RipJaws PC1866
Corsair 650D case, Seasonic X750 Gold PSU
WD `Raptor 600GB boot, WD Caviar Black 1TB data, NEC 7200 DVDRW
ASUS STRIX GTX 970, X-Fi Titanium, Dell 2408WFP
LoneWolf15
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:36 am
Location: SW Meecheegan

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:57 pm

I think they should do a reality TV show with a bunch of teenagers living in a house and all they have is technology from say '80 to maybe '90. I think it would be hilarious. I know there would be a lot of screaming. It might help kids understand why some adults are tech dumb.
AMD X6 1055T, Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3, 8GB, 2x 1TB Seagate R-0, PNY 550 Ti 1GB. 27" Aluminium iMac i5, 8GB, AMD 5850 1GB. 24" Aluminium iMac 2.93GHz, 8GB DDR3, 3TB HD. 13" MacBook Pro 2.53 Ghz, 8GB DDR3. MacBook(late 2009) 2.26, 8GB DDR3.
spartus4
Gerbil
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 7:59 pm

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:08 pm

spartus4 wrote:I think they should do a reality TV show with a bunch of teenagers living in a house and all they have is technology from say '80 to maybe '90. I think it would be hilarious. I know there would be a lot of screaming. It might help kids understand why some adults are tech dumb.

Y'know what my kids say when our Internet isn't working? "Oh, crap... we're Amish!" :lol:

It sometimes amazes/bothers me how dependent I've become on it too, even though I grew up in the pre-Internet age. We had a few weeks recently where our Internet was really flaky, and I was like... "OK, do I grab the netbook and go use the WiFi at the local McDonalds to pay the bills, or do I do it from work tomorrow?" (No wonder the Post Office is in trouble...)
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 38085
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:58 pm

LoneWolf15 wrote:
TheWacoKid wrote:You can get a Surfboard 5101U for ~$25 on Ebay. I just sent one to my mom this week since hers died and she started renting one from Comcast.


The 5-series is only DOCSIS 2. If you're not in a DOCSIS 3 area, that's fine, but if you are, you're short-changing yourself when it comes to performance and continuous throughput.

For your mom, this probably isn't a big deal. For you, or other enthusiasts, it is. also, the Surfboard 6 series has a better case design that keeps the internals cooler.

ShadowEyez wrote:I recently got a zoom dosics 3 modem for comcast and it works as well. The moto 6121 was expensive for a on/of switch and a high end transmitter

The USR Courier V.Everything was expensive for a box, too. While I can't comment on Zoom Telephonics' current reliability (they were decent in analog modem days until their final year or two when they started watering down their products), people buy the Motorola for the same reason they bought USR's Courier. Guaranteed compatibility and support with most cable services (Comcast, for example, doesn't officially support all modems), and long-term reliability.

$80-90 for a Motorola cable modem doesn't bother me considering I'd have paid more than that this year for monthly rental fees from the cableco for theirs. I can justify it no problem. Heck, a Courier V.Everything was $200 back in the day, but for something you use every day of the year, something you can count on is worth it.

Nothing against the Zoom, btw --I just think "expensive" is relative for something you use all the time for a service you don't want to be without.



When I was looking for a new cable modem (got sick of paying comcast $5/month for theirs and wanted dosics 3) I narrowed down to either zoom or the motorola. They both had similar specs and reviews, and the zoom was the least expensive one at the time, but specs and assumed reliability were equal. In the few months I've had it, it's been hassle free.
The finest tools are forged from the hottest fires
ShadowEyez
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:31 pm

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:42 pm

Captain Ned wrote:Good luck finding a phone that will fit in the coupler. :wink:


http://www.amazon.com/Novophone-Retro-C ... B000GQ0TBS

:D
Steel
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 2327
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:00 pm

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:46 pm

Holy crap JBI - you could accidentally dial into NORAD with a setup like that.
I'd recommend going straight for the tic-tac-toe.
Turkina
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: The tundra

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:38 pm

Turkina wrote:Holy crap JBI - you could accidentally dial into NORAD with a setup like that.
I'd recommend going straight for the tic-tac-toe.


That might ruin his game of thermonuclear war though! I say save the tic-tac-toe for later.
StuffMaster
Gerbil
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:41 am

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:44 pm

There's the carcass of an old IMSAI somewhere in the crawlspace too, to go with that old school modem... :wink:
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 38085
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:35 pm

just brew it! wrote:There's the carcass of an old IMSAI somewhere in the crawlspace too, to go with that old school modem... :wink:


Let me guess, it's lying next to a pile of MFM and RLL hard drives, a Hercules CGA card, and a 5.25" single-side floppy drive. And if we dig further, maybe we can find an eight-bit ISA RAM expansion card for those who found that 256k just wasn't enough.
Core i7-4790K, GIGABYTE Z97X-UD5H-BK, 16GB (4x4) G.Skill RipJaws PC1866
Corsair 650D case, Seasonic X750 Gold PSU
WD `Raptor 600GB boot, WD Caviar Black 1TB data, NEC 7200 DVDRW
ASUS STRIX GTX 970, X-Fi Titanium, Dell 2408WFP
LoneWolf15
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:36 am
Location: SW Meecheegan

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:08 pm

LoneWolf15 wrote:Let me guess, it's lying next to a pile of MFM and RLL hard drives, a Hercules CGA card, and a 5.25" single-side floppy drive. And if we dig further, maybe we can find an eight-bit ISA RAM expansion card for those who found that 256k just wasn't enough.

I actually threw most of that stuff out the last time we moved... :wink:
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 38085
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:28 pm

LoneWolf15 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:There's the carcass of an old IMSAI somewhere in the crawlspace too, to go with that old school modem... :wink:


Let me guess, it's lying next to a pile of MFM and RLL hard drives, a Hercules CGA card, and a 5.25" single-side floppy drive. And if we dig further, maybe we can find an eight-bit ISA RAM expansion card for those who found that 256k just wasn't enough.


Darn I already got rid of my Tandy 1000 hx. :((
I miss my insta boot! The Tandy had a 32k rom chip that was set as drive c: that booted the machine straight to Dos 2.11 and even had a simple word processor etc loaded on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandy_1000#Tandy_1000_HX

(and you thought ssd's were new :D)
I wish to see things not as they are but as they should be.
Aranarth
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:56 am
Location: Big Rapids, Mich. (Est Time Zone)

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:53 pm

Was it TANDY-DOS?

My college suitemate had one of those my freshman year. Oh boy! Tandy DeskMate! :)
Core i7-4790K, GIGABYTE Z97X-UD5H-BK, 16GB (4x4) G.Skill RipJaws PC1866
Corsair 650D case, Seasonic X750 Gold PSU
WD `Raptor 600GB boot, WD Caviar Black 1TB data, NEC 7200 DVDRW
ASUS STRIX GTX 970, X-Fi Titanium, Dell 2408WFP
LoneWolf15
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:36 am
Location: SW Meecheegan

Re: Comcast Replacement Modem

Postposted on Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:27 pm

Was surprised to see that the downstream link LED on my SB6121 had changed from green to blue. Looks like DOCSIS 3.0 (at least downstream) has finally made it here to the wilds of Vermont.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20630
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA


Return to Networking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests