problem with port opening

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

Postposted on Sun Mar 17, 2002 2:05 am

I bought a Linksys HPRO200 Phoneline network router. When I tried to run online games (eg. Starcraft on Battle Net) its firewall blocks me out.
I located the ports that the games use and forwarded them to the computer which I play the games on. Doesn't work. I even went as far as turning off the firewall entirely by activating the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ), but that doesn't work either. The games ran smoothly for about 3 minutes, then the router's firewall suddenly shut down the internet connection.
Could anyone help me fix this problem? Thanks.
Paladin
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Tue Mar 26, 2002 1:20 am

I've had similar problems with my bfsr41... It does that same thing to me... you may want to try disabling DHCP... I read somewhere that you can't port forward while dhcp is enabled... if that isn't true, than I am just spreading lies... but isn't that what user forums are all about?

But, in the very least... look for the latest firmware...
inhalent
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Tue Mar 26, 2002 1:26 pm

Inhalent,

The Lynksys BFSR41 tells how to fix this issue in the manuel. I cannot remeber what to do.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Mar 29, 2002 6:48 pm

I've used that router also, and you can use DHCP but if you want forwarding you need to assign a static address for the box that you are forwarding to. If I remember right, the system sets the DHCP pool to start at .100 so assign the machine that you are using as the server and assign it an address of .99 or less, but not .1 since the router uses that. Use your router address as the DNS server for that box, or if you can find them the numbers for the DNS servers your ISP uses.
That should do it.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to forward the ports :wink:.

Celery Farm:
900,700,667,400,333 All 256M
AMD:
Duron 950, 1.2G Both with 256M

280G Storage in my room, want a Tera by Christmas :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HowardDrake on 2002-03-29 18:49 ]</font>
HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Return to Networking