TX Power on my new router?

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

TX Power on my new router?

Postposted on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:26 am

I've got a Netgear WNR2000v2 router. I flashed it with DD-WRT firmware. I'm assuming cranking up the TX Power will extend the wireless range. I'm given the option of 1-251mW with 71mW as default. Anyone know what is a safe amount to increase it? What will happen if I go too high?
JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Re: TX Power on my new router?

Postposted on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:51 am

Too high and the transmitters will overheat, and you'll piss off your neighbors by overriding their signals.

I remember reading once that it's not recommended to go past 84 mW with my old WRT54GL (default 42 mW), so that's where I left it.
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:17 pm

Increasing the Tx level on the router may not even help your range much. If the router can't "hear" the PC, you're not going to have a reliable connection no matter how much power the router is pumping out.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:22 pm

just brew it! wrote:Increasing the Tx level on the router may not even help your range much. If the router can't "hear" the PC, you're not going to have a reliable connection no matter how much power the router is pumping out.

One of the few spots where increased power has helped me is the install I did for a friend. They put up a business building on one side of their property and bought business-class from Comcast, while still having resi-class in their house. A pair of WRT-54GLs and some increased transmitter power later, they now have a stable WDS system spanning both buildings with the business-class service, allowing them to drop the resi-class in the house. Since there are 2 APs/routers, 1 in each building, client TX power isn't an issue and the increased router TX power means both WRTs have no issues talking to and hearing each other.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Return to Networking