Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

TX Power on my new router?

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:26 am

I've got a Netgear WNR2000v2 router. I flashed it with DD-WRT firmware. I'm assuming cranking up the TX Power will extend the wireless range. I'm given the option of 1-251mW with 71mW as default. Anyone know what is a safe amount to increase it? What will happen if I go too high?

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: TX Power on my new router?

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:51 am

Too high and the transmitters will overheat, and you'll piss off your neighbors by overriding their signals.

I remember reading once that it's not recommended to go past 84 mW with my old WRT54GL (default 42 mW), so that's where I left it.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:17 pm

Increasing the Tx level on the router may not even help your range much. If the router can't "hear" the PC, you're not going to have a reliable connection no matter how much power the router is pumping out.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:22 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Increasing the Tx level on the router may not even help your range much. If the router can't "hear" the PC, you're not going to have a reliable connection no matter how much power the router is pumping out.

One of the few spots where increased power has helped me is the install I did for a friend. They put up a business building on one side of their property and bought business-class from Comcast, while still having resi-class in their house. A pair of WRT-54GLs and some increased transmitter power later, they now have a stable WDS system spanning both buildings with the business-class service, allowing them to drop the resi-class in the house. Since there are 2 APs/routers, 1 in each building, client TX power isn't an issue and the increased router TX power means both WRTs have no issues talking to and hearing each other.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.