Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

Buub
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Domain Name Registrars - who do you recommend?

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:31 pm

I've been using GoDaddy for years, but their prices have been creeping up over time, and I'm thinking it's time to look around again. I'm not dissatisfied with their service -- they do that just fine. I'm just not happy that nothing more than parking a domain name in their service costs $20/year.

I serve my DNS through DNSMadeEasy.com, and they're awesome: cheap and reliable. But my domains are coming up for renewal.

Anyone have good experience with someone cheaper than GoDaddy that gives good service? Bonus points if they offer anonymization (like GoDaddy's Domain By Proxy service).

Crayon Shin Chan
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Domain Name Registrars - who do you recommend?

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Namecheap?
Mothership: FX-8350, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk, Crucial MX500 500GB
Supply ship: [email protected], 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Thinkpad X230

ShadowTiger
Gerbil First Class

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:54 pm

Depending on what you need, hover.com will let you get a domain + privacy for $15 but they don't offer other services. I use godaddy for the free webhosting, its cheaper than paying $2/mo or whatever you can find elsewhere.

In any case, you should google for coupon codes with whatever service you end up using, you can get a nice discount.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:24 pm

Name.com/Domainsite.com is pretty good. I use them at work. They have private whois for $0.50 per year per domain, and I haven't had a need for domain parking.

Gandi.net is pretty good. They contribute to several FOSS projects, if you like that sort of thing. They are based out of France, and my credit cards gave me fits when I bought a domain from them. I think private whois is free with them. I'm not sure about domain parking.

I like Dreamhost.com for my personal webhosting and domain stuff. I originally went with them because they are employee owned, and my previous webhost wasn't working for me. I was pleasantly surprised to find out their stuff worked really well. You'd have to fully host with them, which is $9.95 per month, to get domain parking.