Here is my scenario:
I have a game room separated from my house by about 50-75 feet. The path is clear from any trees or obstructions. I would like to extend my internet connection out to the game room either wirelessly or wired, but I would like it to be it's own LAN.
My current setup is this:
LAN1= Motorola SB6120 Modem -> BUFFALO AirStation HighPower N300 Gigabit Wireless Router (DHCP) -> Ubiquiti Unifi AP (Non-DHCP for wifi in the house)
I found that I had issues with the wifi on the buffalo router, so I use the UniFi for wireless and have several wired devices feeding straight into the buffalo.
I have considered a few options for running my second LAN
1. Run ethernet buried to a second DHCP router and put that IP in the DMZ of the buffalo router. This would provide direct internet access and (I think) keep LAN2 off of LAN1.
2. Run one router ahead of the buffalo router that also does DHCP and have that feed the routers for LAN1 and LAN2. DHCP 1 would provide an internal IP for LAN1 and 2 which would then provide their own DHCP for their clients. I think this would work, but it seems like it would have the possibilities for a headache for firewall exceptions and probably introduce some additional overhead.
3. Mount a Wifi antenna on the corner of the house and another on the corner of the game room, and then either follow option 1 and put the outbound wifi on the DMZ or follow option two and setup the pre-LAN 1 and 2 router and have the WAN line to LAN2 coming from the wifi. This is the option that I am not entirely sure how to setup (with a ethernet -> Wifi -> Wifi -> Ethernet -> DHCP Router setup).
On the subject of ease of setup, obviously the wifi between the two physical locations would be easier than trenching either an outdoor ethernet cable or a conduit+cable setup. With the short distance, I don't see any potential speed issues either.
So I guess my questions are
1) How should I setup a separate LAN from the same internet connection? and
2) How should I setup the connection between my house and the game room?