Best Private VPN Setup for overseas use?

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

Best Private VPN Setup for overseas use?

Postposted on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:51 am

Hi all,

I'm going to be traveling internationally for a few weeks soon, and want to be able to VPN into US connections to get access to Pandora et al. I have a few options, and I'm curious to know what you guys prefer.

In order of preference:

1. I have a Linode server that hosts my websites. I can setup OpenVPN on the server and VPN into that.
2. I have a FIOS 50/30 connection at home, with a computer running Win 8. I could setup VPN on Win 8, or install Linux into a virtual machine and set up open VPN on that.
3. Use a commercial VPN provider.

What would you recommend? I'm pretty good with Linux (ex-sysadmin, have setup Open-VPN before), so the Linode option seems the best to me.

Or perhaps there's another way that I'm missing?

Thanks a bunch.
LTL
LongtimeLurker
Gerbil

Re: Best Private VPN Setup for overseas use?

Postposted on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:18 am

I'm on a VPN right now, and use openVPN.

from the options you listed,i would go with linode, as you're already using them for hosting. if they charge extra for VPN and you're not paranoid you can go the host at home route (if you're really paranoid and assume someone is watching you, they may not know WHAT you're doing but you can assume they know where you are sending it to, and contact your ISP to give them the unencrypted outbound connection packets...)

What I've found is, depending on how far away from the VPN server you are, that latency (not bandwidth, especially in your case) is the weak link in terms of performance.

And test your connection/configuration a few times BEFORE hitting the road, trust me :-)
The finest tools are forged from the hottest fires
ShadowEyez
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:15 am

Thanks, I'm probably going to go with Linode. Might as well use that server, eh? It's got plenty of spare capacity.

And WRT to security, I'm not paranoid; I just want to be able to access services that I'm used to, and you never know what works and what doesn't outside the US. I'm not doing anything that requires security or encryption, as such.

And yes, testing multiple times is a definite must!
LongtimeLurker
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:45 pm

I use VyprVPN myself. The bandwidth was good, it supports 256-bit OpenVPN, and it servers all over the world so you can always pick the one closest to you (mainly in Europe, U.S., and 1 in Hong Kong for now). You could roll your own but then you'd be responsible for the upkeep (if any) as well as any issues that might come up (like connectivity), on top of being limited to the 1 server regardless of where you are. I would think it'd be easier to let someone else deal with the particulars and have multiple servers available to choose from.

Features (scroll down to see server locations)
Prices

Its not terribly expensive ($15/month for OpenVPN support), so you could try it for a bit just to see if you like it or not.
Under Construction Forever~~~
Kurotetsu
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:21 am

How much data you're going to transfer is something you might want to think about with the Linode option.

As for VPN providers, Tunnelr and Private Tunnel look interesting.

Tunnelr has SSH, OpenVPN, and PPTP with a monthly fee for unlimited usage.
https://www.tunnelr.com/features.php

Private Tunnel is run by the company behind OpenVPN, and they use a pricing structure where you buy a block of data and can transfer data until you hit your limit. There isn't an expiration of the data block, so
https://www.privatetunnel.com/index.php
https://www.privatetunnel.com/index.php/price.html
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:40 am

I'm not transferring much data, certainly not more than 5 GB/month.
Tunnelr does look interesting, though. not too expensive either.

The thing is, though, I'm already paying for the Linode, so rolling my own doesn't add any cost (besides my time, but setting up VPN won't take much time at all).

I think I'm going to try the Linode option first, and if I run into any hassles, I'll look into Tunnler.

Thanks guys, this is helpful, and I learnt about some new services.
LongtimeLurker
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:44 am

LongtimeLurker wrote:I'm not transferring much data, certainly not more than 5 GB/month.

The thing is, though, I'm already paying for the Linode, so rolling my own doesn't add any cost (besides my time, but setting up VPN won't take much time at all).

I think I'm going to try the Linode option first, and if I run into any hassles, I'll look into Tunnler.

talking about VPN..i usually use it in my office , but if now i travel most to china.. i think i need a private VPN for this but what kind of protocol is the most easily to use ?
PPTP, VPN ,Tunner SSH ...etc ???
mghong
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:51 am

mghong wrote:
LongtimeLurker wrote:I'm not transferring much data, certainly not more than 5 GB/month.

talking about VPN..i usually use it in my office , but if now i travel most to china.. i think i need a private VPN for this but what kind of protocol is the most easily to use ?
PPTP, VPN ,Tunner SSH ...etc ???

If you are comfortable with SSH, it's very easy to use as a VPN tunnel service on an ad hoc basis like when you are traveling in China/US/wherever. I've heard of the "great firewall" in China, but I don't know if it would actually block SSH traffic (YMMV).

As for a dedicated VPN solution, I highly recommend OpenVPN (http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source.html). You need to setup an OpenVPN server on your local network, but once that is done you can establish a connection from practically anyhwere. OpenVPN uses SSL for encryption & authentication, so it doesn't require any special IPsec or other network-layer protocols aside from basic UDP and IP to move traffic.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-770; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
chuckula
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Return to Networking