USB Wifi

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

USB Wifi

Postposted on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:42 am

Just moved into a flat and I'm not going to be using a wired connection any more

Any recommendations as to what to look for in a WiFi card for the desktop; Spec are here for the hub http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/wireless ... ifications

Never looked into this before as I've always been wired, but I know from other peoples experience, some can be flaky. The desktop will be about 5 metres away from the hub, on the same level, so signal shouldn't be an issue

Budget? Probably don't want to spend more than £23-£30, not sure if this is realistic or not
Q6600|Asus P5b Deluxe|Corsair VX550|4gb Cell Shock 6400|4890|320gb Seagate|Zalman 9700|2407WFP
Sikthskies
Gerbil Elite

Re: USB Wifi

Postposted on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:44 am

Q6600|Asus P5b Deluxe|Corsair VX550|4gb Cell Shock 6400|4890|320gb Seagate|Zalman 9700|2407WFP
Sikthskies
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:34 am

IMO, at this stage 801.11ac is about to start taking off, but there's still a price premium. I'd suggest you get yourself onto the 1Gb WiFi bandwagon while it's hot.
"What luck for rulers, that men do not think"
Pax-UX
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:41 am

What are you going to be doing with it? If you're just using it for internet access what kind of bandwidth do you have coming to your flat? Having a high falootin' wi-fi card is great for sharing files locally but if you're connecting up to a 10 mb internet connection it really isn't needed. I would just get something in the 802.11n rage, 1x1 mimo, similar to the card you pointed to on ebay.

Another thing to consider is if you will be moving around a bit. The card you pointed to sticks out from the laptop, which is fine if you're comfortable with that. Otherwise, since you will be so close to the base station, you might want something low profile like this.

For brands I would suggest something with a halfway decent name; Buffalo, Netgear, Linksys, etc. Driver support will be better, and that's still fairly important for wi-fi.
"I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up," - Marty Feldman
redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:21 am

I've been wireless to my main PC before and I know the experience.

The big question is do you online game?
Wireless throws a whole bunch of issues at you if you do. Things like higher latency and the random momentary disconnects.

When I was wireless I played WoW. Things were great 95% of the time though when grouping the once an hour disconnects were annoying. WoW at the time was not as resilient to connection loss (pre Burning Crusade)
I had wireless g 108 Mb/s at the time.
Arvald
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:40 am

Since it's a desktop (per OP's OP), I'd strongly recommend against a USB adapter, and for a PCIe cradle and a good, tested miniPCIe card. I just bought several of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130501831715?ss ... 1497.l2649

They were 10$ each and can take most any wireless card you like. I have a few old Airport Extreme cards to put in some of these, and some Intel 5300s to put in the other.

Decent miniPCIe wireless cards go cheap on eBay all the time, and you can pick up a really good brand, like Intel or Qualcomm Atheros.

Desktop cards, on the other hand, generally come from no-name-brand companies, often have poor driver support, and can be quite troublesome.

Here's a nice 5300 listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Intel-WiFi- ... 416bb0804d

You'd want UK listings instead of US ones, but does this sound like what you're looking for? Putting the card in the cradle is pretty simple, and driver support comes directly from Intel.
I've been here long enough that I think I can forgo a signature.
Forge
Darth Gerbil

Return to Networking