Minimum Speed for Vpn

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

Minimum Speed for Vpn

Postposted on Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:34 pm

Hello all,
I have to travel overseas in west africa and will be using Vpn. What is the minimum internet speed needed to be able to vpn? The place i will be staying i heard has wifi, so i will connect to the internet via wifi. Could that be an issue , can the local isp block the vpn connection? What other issue can occur?
Jacobson00
Gerbil In Training

Re: Minimum Speed for Vpn

Postposted on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:02 pm

All depends what you were wanting to do via VPN.
Deanjo
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:17 pm

Access network shared files, do work. Access a database and such
Jacobson00
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:14 pm

Jacobson00 wrote:Access network shared files, do work. Access a database and such

Remember when you are using VPN you are basically transferring the file every time you wish to access it. If the software you are using is a client / server type where the client resides on your local machine accessing a db overseas then expect dog slow performance on any query due to the increased latency (not to mention the ton of potential traffic that has to occur). You might want to consider instead of using VPN to use RDP. That way all your traffic is still local on the overseas machine and the only thing that is put over the net is basically your screen refreshes. You can also map your local drive over the RDP connection for any files you wish to transfer between the two (which will be limited to your slowest connection).

As a general rule of thumb, databases and vpn don't play well together.
Deanjo
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:29 pm

Yeah, the moment I saw databases I thought "that's definitely not a good idea".
ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:18 pm

I admittedly suck at VPNs but if he's talking to the DB through a data server (which is how SS, MySQL etc. are generally configured) wouldn't it still just be the queries and results being transmitted between the two machines? Back when I did web applications we talked to remote servers pretty frequently, just dial in 10.10.whatever and start banging away.

As far as accessibility, you'd have to check whether the particular country blocks secure traffic. It's a problem in a lot of Arab countries though I haven't heard it being an issue in Africa. Your IT department can probably answer this based on the particular protocol and ports your system uses.
NovusBogus
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:44 pm

Database access will be OK if the database app is browser-based, the middleware runs on the far (database) end, and the generated web pages are reasonably well-optimized for slower connections. Otherwise, database access over a VPN from the other side of the world is going to be painful.

RDP will probably be OK if the connection is solid and the applications being used are not graphically intensive.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 pm

Thank you all. I won't be doing anything big, just run some simple queries here and there and run packages using pl/sql -- probably wont even. I mostly will just be retrieving data. I don't mind the latency as long as it work. If what usually take 10mins to run takes 1hr, i don't mind.
We are using cisco vpn and it is installed on my machine. And i work for a university. I dont think west africa has some block rule, you can access anything.
I thought, if you have wifi, then u can use vpn and it doesnt matter whether the country block secure connection or not. Also how can a country block secure connection? I know they can block sites but secure connection? So is it possible for vpn connection to be blocked?
Jacobson00
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:08 pm

Secure doesn't mean it can't be blocked. Secure just means it can't be snooped on (unless you're the NSA). A firewall can easily block the ports and/or protocols used by common VPN products if the person who configured the firewall wants to disallow VPNs for some reason.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:20 pm

Wow, even more confusing.
Ok, i just checked my vpn on my machine at home using wifi and it seems fine. Pl/sql was a bit slow though to open and run but worked. At this point, i will assume there is no firewall on the pc blocking vpn. Gosh!! I am nervous
Jacobson00
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:02 am

The problem isn't a firewall on your PC, it's firewalls deployed by the ISP(s) in the country you'll be visiting. Usually this is done at the behest of the local government due to a ban on encryption, and the implementation can range from simply blocking certain ports used by popular VPN clients to more sophisticated traffic analysis. China has an estimated 50,000 cops running a massive censorship and filtering program--the so-called Great Firewall. Again, I've not heard of this being an issue in western Africa but you should do some research on the particular country or countries involved; its a very bad idea to make any assumptions when traveling overseas. If there is going to be a problem it will be obvious.

If you're staying at a business or tourist friendly hotel they should be able to answer your questions too, this will also rule out any unpleasant surprises from a local ISP acting on its own volition.
NovusBogus
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:44 am

NovusBogus wrote:I admittedly suck at VPNs but if he's talking to the DB through a data server (which is how SS, MySQL etc. are generally configured) wouldn't it still just be the queries and results being transmitted between the two machines?

Yes but those micro transactions over a high latency network are killer. Also depending on the nature of the db software the potential for huge data transfers could be a limiting factor. My last job before retired and became a silent parter was in the trucking db industry and because the software was designed for a client-server nature queries were originated from the client end to relieve the load on the servers cpu and i/o was the limiting factor. The result was awesome LAN performance but brutally sucked at WAN because of the micro transmissions of data.
Deanjo
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:15 am

Since you mention PL/SQL, I suppose you are running SQL*Plus or some other Oracle database tools? In this case, most of your code will be running on the Oracle server in the backoffice, but trasmitting the PL/SQL text (unless you are calling a saved stored procedure on the server) and the return data coming back down will be the slow parts. The initial connect may also be pretty chatty. I would be more concerned about how stable your internet/VPN connection when you are actually out there though. Not too sure about the infrastructure in West Africa.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:41 pm

Thanks guys, wish me and my vpn luck. I will let you know how it goes.

The internet provider where i am going is Orange telecom.
Jacobson00
Gerbil In Training

Return to Networking