Help for Login to server, noob question

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

Help for Login to server, noob question

Postposted on Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:42 pm

So Disclaimer, I am not wise at all in the ways of networking. Please forgive me if I don't use the right terminology I will do my best. I am working on a 3 computer(winxp) plus one server(2008 RC2) workgroup. There is a hardware firewall protecting what goes on inside the office from the rest of the world. I am not the originator of the setup, all equipment is from 8 to 10 years old. Their 10/100 switch got hit by lightning and that is when I entered the picture.

I replaced their switch and two of their computers were still 'twitchy' (random problems, not all the time problems), they decided they wanted to get new computers (keeping the old server for now). I let them know that I was clueless when it comes to networking and they promised to be patient with me. I built a new win7 rig and went to work installing their bookkeeping software. I joined the workgroup and their sage software mapped the spot on the server where the database is. While I could see all the files on the server the program could not connect to the database. Finally someone clued me to ping the server... Ah ha, could not ping the server. I could ping the server address but not the server name. I disabled IPV6 on the workstation and the server and set DNS lookup to the perferred address that the other two workstations were using ... magic. Program works like a dream with one problem to work through.

TL;DR THE QUESTION: I set up a new user on the server but I don't know how to make the workstation reach out and try and log on to the server. The computer boots and tells me that the network drive didn't connect and I have to double click on the drive and log on. I want the computer to automatically connect to the server under the name I set up when it boots. I have set up on the server for the user to automatically have their password entered. What I have googled was to go to the servers active directory and add the computer but the server doesn't have the service and I don't want to add anymore complexity (Probably done too much of that already).

So how do I set it up to reach out to the server with the designated name on boot? Please please help (yes I'm pleading), I am near the end of this nightmare and I know there are Gerbils who have the opposite level of knowledge when it comes to this.

Thanks, and please keep it simple
Coran Fixx
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Help for Login to server, noob question

Postposted on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Hoping there might be someone out there to throw me a lifeline ....
Coran Fixx
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:15 pm

So you've created the same user on the workstation and the server, with the exact same password?

FWIW I agree that Active Directory would be overkill for a 3 workstation network...
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:23 am

"Map Network Drive" > "\\servername or IP\sharename" > "Connect using different credentials" not working for you?

Is DNS resolving IP to Host Name? (Assuming the server is running a DNS Server service, and its IP is being used by the client workstations as a DNS entry for their TCP/IP settings)

If no DNS Server service, is a hosts file being used?

Just a couple thoughts off the top of my head.
PainIs4ThaWeak1
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:34 am

JBI: I have the same user name on the workstation and the server but no password on the workstation.

Pain: I did not see the 'login with different credentials' option on the mapped drive and I don't know how the dns names are resolved. I only know that when I changed the dns preference to what the xp machines were set to, it started working.

I will look into both of those things today, thanks for the help.

Edit: I remember looking for a Hosts file and not finding it but I was looking on the workstation (back when I could not ping the server).
Coran Fixx
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:55 am

In Windows, your hosts file will always be located at:

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc
PainIs4ThaWeak1
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:08 am

The usernames and passwords need to be synced between the PC and the PC with the share.

If you have john1:superdupersecurepassword on one computer, you need to have john1:superdupersecurepassword on the machine with the share you're trying to access. If the passwords or usernames are different, you'll be asked for a username and password when the share is accessed.

The "login with different credentials" option is displayed at the bottom of the Map network drive window when the drive is initially mapped.

Alternately you could use the command below if you're using a script.

Code: Select all
net use X: \\workstation\share PASSWORD /user:WORKSTATION\username /savecred /persistent:yes
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:07 pm

Yeah JBI and Flatland I added the password to the User account on the workstation and now all is well. Thanks a bunch for the bacon saving.
Coran Fixx
Graphmaster Gerbil

Return to Networking