slow mapped drives

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

slow mapped drives

Postposted on Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:26 pm

Network : Windows 2003 small business
Switches: netgear g2724t
Windows 7, i5, 1000mb nic, 8gb ram, all service packs, nic has most up to date driver
The problem is on two different new computers. One is a Lenovo, the other is an Asus build. The Asus H61m was tried with its mother board nic and an Intel gigabyte ct desktop nic. There are two mapped drives to the server. The login is fine and internet seems fine. But if you use an application or Windows Explorer to look at the mapped network driver, it almost stops, a green line across the top of explorer and after 5 to 10 seconds returns with the next set of folders. Click on them and wait again. There are 30 other computers on this network, a combination of XP and Windows 7, none of which do this. If I disable and re-enable the nic or if I go into the advanced settings and change auto negotiate to 1000mb or 100 mb, the network connection “resets” and then everything is fine. Stays fine until you down the station or do a restart and then it’s slow again. I’ve taken the computers to the server room and plugged directly into the switch's (I have three) and get the same reaction. I’ve disabled antivirus, and firewall. I’ve mapped the drives as an IP address instead of the server name. I’ve mapped to a Samba server too and when I start it says network drive not available, but if I click on it, it immediately is available and at full speed.
Anything else I can try?
bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class

Re: slow mapped drives

Postposted on Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:33 pm

Try searching the sysinternals blog. I know Russinovich tracked down a couple of problems similar to this; I don't think they were the same as this (one was something about time-outs with disconnected mapped drives, think the other was indexing or something) but he documents his sleuthing process using his utilities, which may give you some tools & ideas for narrowing down the problem.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:58 am

OK, this is strange. I did look up the blog and put process explorer on one of the computers. It was in the slow state (the problem I'm trying to address) and I opened up process explorer. My intent was to then open Windows explorer and see what is being called, then manually change the nic to kick it up to regular speed and then run process explorer again and see if I can spot a difference. The problem is that when in the slow state, just opening up process explorer some how changed the state to being fast. ??? I'll continue exploring this avenue and see if I can make any sense out of this.
bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:30 am

If it is sensitive to whether you're running Process Explorer that may actually be a sign of a malware infection. Some types of malware watch for common diagnostic tools to be launched, and when they see one they either try to kill the tool or put themselves into stealth mode to make detection more difficult.

Could also be a power management issue of some sort, and Process Explorer is putting just enough additional load on the system to prevent the buggy mode from being triggered.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:01 am

Try renaming a copy of procexp.exe to something else (leaving the .exe) and see if the weirdness continues.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:27 pm

Apparently the process explorer was a fluke. After a reboot, I'm not getting the same reaction. Also to add to the mix, I took the computer to another location that also has a Windows 2003 sm bus server, created the user, logged onto the network, mapped a driver to the server, rebooted and it operates at full speed. Back at the original location and the problem is still here.
bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:34 pm

1. Have you been using the same cable for all of the tests? If so, maybe the cable is bad.

2. Maybe your network switch is going south.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:47 pm

Different cables and tried changing to another switch. No change.
bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:56 pm

I'm running process explorer and Process monitor and Windows explorer changing to different folders on the network. Then it happened again, something caused the connection to start working right. What do the two processes have in common with disabling and enabling the network card or changing the auto negotiate to 1000mb duplex which resets the network card and makes it work properly (until the system is rebooted).
bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:59 pm

I could not figure out what is causing this, but have figured out a way around it.

I loaded the following batch file into the Windows startup folder:

ECHO Off
ipconfig.exe /release
net.exe stop "dns client"
net.exe stop "network connections"
net.exe start "dns client"
net.exe start "network connections"
ipconfig.exe /flushdns
ipconfig.exe /renew

This ends up reinitializing the network card and it then runs at full speed. I'm planning on taking a different brand switch on site and seeing if it makes any difference, but at least this batch file allows me to move on with the project.
bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:57 pm

found something that works better:

netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

put this in at the command prompt, rebooted and it now works fine.
bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class

Return to Networking