Macintosh and Windows pcs on same network

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

Macintosh and Windows pcs on same network

Postposted on Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:12 pm

I have had no random latency issues for the past year with my 2 pcs on this xfinity modem from comcast, recently added a macintosh laptop to it, and have been getn higher then normal ping when its being used at random times. Is there some kinda program to show me when the net is being sapped by a certain computer on the network, and is there a known issue with macs and pcs on same network that causes net issues?
Taski
Gerbil

Re: Macintosh and Windows pcs on same network

Postposted on Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:58 pm

Taski wrote:and is there a known issue with macs and pcs on same network that causes net issues?

Maybe this will help. It's for old versions of the OS but it applies to the more current versions. For OS X 10.9:

From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
Click Network.
In the left sidebar, select "Ethernet" or "Wi-Fi".
If you see a lock icon in the bottom left corner, click the lock icon and enter your administrator password.
Click the "Advanced..." button.
Click the Hardware tab.
From the Configure: pop-up menu, choose "Manually".
From the MTU pop-up menu, choose "Custom".
Enter your desired setting (72 to 9000). Some ISPs may have a specific suggested MTU value. If you're changing it without a specific recommendation, make incremental changes (such as 1500 to 1400 to 1300, and so forth). Try 1460.
Click OK, then click Apply to save your changes.
i7-3770K@4.7 | H100 | P8Z77-V PREMIUM | 16GB | 2 GTX 770 4GB SLI | M500 960GB | EVO 840 250GB | AX850 | Obsidian 550D | R.A.T. 9 | U2713H | U2711
End User
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Re: Macintosh and Windows pcs on same network

Postposted on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:51 pm

Bad idea to randomly play with the MTU on one host on a shared media. Best way is everything at 1500 and if you have PPPoE then have your router MSS clamp to 1452 to match the 1492 MTU given the PPPoE 8 byte overhead on Ethernet's 1500 byte MTU. UDP etc should sort it out from path MTU discovery.

I wouldn't worry about ping times in general, especially to routers as routers treat ICMP as the lowest priority. Throughput can vary from TCP stack to TCP stack and what they are talking to at the far end.
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Return to Networking